Favorite Catskill Peak.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love Vly :p (JK...) I'd have to say Wittenberg for me. The views are fantastic and the day Bird and I did it, it was Nov and it was 70 degrees! (Something like that always makes a peak more memerable for me :)

Rocky, the most under rated 3500 peak, secluded, quiet, faraway, hidden views, beautiful route.
Actually, they are all nice in winter, when the nettles sleep.

As the poster above mentioned, Rocky is truly a gem, ..... one of my favorites. It has some excellent views if you don't mind searching a bit, both along the route and near the summit.

Another under-rated peak .......... Sherrill. The views from the south-eastern ledges are spectacular! (I didn't even know these ledges existed until a few days before the hike when a Catskill expert mentioned it in an email). And there was something special about the route I took, can't quite put my finger on it ....... but the woods were beautiful, eerie at times .... (in a good way), ..... lots of very odd shaped trees ..... a small alpine meadow with nice views to the south ...... and a mini "grotto" of sorts just a few hundred yards due west of the summit.

It's hard to choose a favorite. Westkill and Windham High Peak hold a special place in my heart. Regarding Halcott not being a peak you are particularly fond of ......... here's an idea - - next time, combine it with NE Halcott (AKA Sleeping Lion). And if you still haven't had enough, add South Vly! The Cat100 list contains many wonderful peaks ...... even if you don't aspire to climbing them all, it certainly makes a great menu to choose from!

;)

Rob

Good Stuff, good stuff.

So MH51, what's your route up Rocky? I think I went in off of Table.

And Hobbes, how'd you hike Sherril? I did it from the Devils Path, went up North Dome first (suffered through tons of Nettles MH51) and then on to Sherril. Don't remember any views from Sherril. I'll have to explore a little more.

There are several routes to Rocky, the nicest IMO is to come in from Denning, take the trail to Table over the bridges of the Deershanty and Neversink, then follow the fishermans path up to the drainage stream between Rocky and BC. The walk along the Neversink is one of the nicest, year round.
Its an unoffical path, someone even painted the trees with gray spray paint to follow along. Several legal campsites along the river on the way up.

I think that's the one...Rocky and maybe Lone. I'll go up the Neversink. I've heard before that that is a real nice hike up the Neversink. I've only taken the trail with the fallen tree-bridges over the creeks and on up to Table and bw'd in from there to Lone and Rocky.
Up the Neversink sounds like a nice combination of trail and bushwack.
Thanks for helping me decide! :D

It is tough to decide. I mainly enjoy the summits with long hikes through spruce forest, great views, and steep climbs. Some of the peaks that come to mind are Westkill, Twin, peakamoose/table, and the Burroughs range (Slide, Cornell and Wittenburg). I have done all the 3500 peaks except Rusk, Hallocot, and Katerskill. For trailles peaks I have to go with Lone and Rocky.

How are the views from Rocky? I've been there before but don't remember anything spectacular, you know like Twin, or Wittenburg or West Kill...

Plan on taking the unmarked path along the East Branch of the Neversink. What's that trail like?

IndianChris said:
How are the views from Rocky? I've been there before but don't remember anything spectacular, you know like Twin, or Wittenburg or West Kill...?

I seem to recall a view from a side of it near the summit but couldn't give you a bearing...... it's been a while, lol. :)

IndianChris said:
How are the views from Rocky? I've been there before but don't remember anything spectacular, you know like Twin, or Wittenburg or West Kill...

Plan on taking the unmarked path along the East Branch of the Neversink. What's that trail like?
If you haven't gone yet, the trail is hit and miss, starts past the second log bridge just where the marked trail starts up. Follow the river along the East bank most of the way, there is only one crossing,then it returns to the east bank. sometimes its along the stream, other times its inland a bit. You can see the gray paint over the red paint if you look. Just following along the stream is just as nice The view is towards BC, what we call a solitude viewpoint, nothing spectacular except its peace and serenity. Maybe 200' from the cannister.

My Fav

So many it's hard to pick. But Rocky was always a fav for me. I just love the summit with it's cap of red fir and balsam. By the way- I notice a trend of die-off on the summit- which saddens me.

Favorite Peak and Why....

My favorite peak in the winter would be Slide over Wittenberg and Cornell via the W-C-S Trail.

2 Reasons why: It was the first of my 3500 Club trips and it was also the summit I got engaged on this past fall.

A close 2nd would be Sugarloaf from Mink Hollow. Steep!

I am leaving 2/29 for my last winter hike for the 3500. Panther for the 2nd time.

I'll have to say Twin or Black Dome for the view. I've done about 1/2 of the 3500. The day I was on Wittenberg, the view was nonexistent, it looked like it had potential though.

Dennis C. said:
.... because it has a fire tower and I didn't Overlook anything in the choice of a finish peak for the CAT 3000s. ;)

Overlook is a good hike to do at night also.... especially if you're wearing horns :rolleyes: :eek: :) ;)

The Buddhist Temple across from the Overlook parking area has witnessed some strange things in it's time, lol. :D