AT in CT, with HP on the side

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

Tramper Al

Hey,

So, I talked a friend of mine into hiking my fourth and final AT in CT section Saturday. The Weatherman predicted a window of opportunity, without falling precipitation, and he was right.

We spotted a car on East Rd/Mt. Washington Rd in the AMC lot at the MA/CT border. That road was fairly rough and muddy on the MA side, and of course closed for the season on the CT side. We drove around past Bash Bish and through NY to our start point at Great Falls, CT in Falls Village. The Great Falls were roaring, due to all the recent rain!

Up and over Prospect Moutain, with some fine views, and then across Rts. 44 and 41 in Salisbury. Up and up first over Lion's Head (great views) and finally up to Bear Mt (fine 360 views). We located the MA/CT line markers down in the col, as I officially completed my AT in CT section hike! Out the unmarked forest road to a quick stop at the car, and then off again westbound on the red-blazed trail to Round Mt and finally Frissell, and the Litchfield Co (and CT state) HP on the shoulder. We then completed a loop out to the tri-state marker, south a bit through NY, then out by the unmarked road SE to rejoin the Mt. Washington Rd, and walk back to car.

All in all an outstanding day walking in the woods. We did a little over 14 AT miles, and something like 18+ overall. The highpoints, in no particular order included Lion's Head, with it's foul weather bipass; the Riga shelter views; guy pulling over his Audi to offer us an unneeded ride (his daughter somewhere north of Springer); candy give-away on Bear Mt; cool charcoal road tour guide; mad licking dog; glimpsed raptor fleeing us through the birches, then finding its prey on the trail, alive but bleeding from talon wounds; ominous wood frog choruses from every pond and swamp; pair of shrews chasing each another trailside, ignoring us completely; wading ankle deep through water and muck on the Frissell side trip; hiking in three states; having a great time.

Yes.

Hey,
Thanks Ivy.
Your past trip reports have helped in my planning of AT in CT hikes. Now on to complete VT (from Rt 12) and NH (from Rt 2), with luck!

Al,
Thought you already had the Mahoosucs done? If not, you're in for a nice ride. I love Trident col - spent many nights there growing up. Years ago that section of trail was so rarely used that a trek to Page Pond was always an adventure.

Trident etc.

Hey SK,
I have hiked the Maine Mahoosucs from the border (to Flagstaff Lake now), but not the NH Mahoosucs, yet. Please keep that just between us. I mean, how dedicated a tramper could I be if I have never climbed Mt. Success, right?
The plan all along (for Dad and me) was the AT in NH, but he ran out of steam coming down Rattle River. Now he's interested (in the NH Mahoosucs) again, so I hope that visits to Trident Col and all of those ponds are in our future.

Last edited:
If you've done Maine, you've done Mahoosuc Notch, and that's what really counts. :D

Having done the ME Mahoosucs trip with Al as well as the last of CT, I'm not sure whether we did the Mahoosucs or they did us. 18.5 miles in CT was much easier then the 5 miles from Full Goose to Speck Pond! It was the Arm rather than the Notch that did us in, though I'm sure the Notch contributed. And the blackflies we ate for dinner were mighty yummy. Can't wait to do the "easy" Mahoosuc section!
Weatherman

Last edited:
Going to do the Hanover to Lyme Center (18m) section on Sat. The DOC says it is muddy but no significant ice. May do the Ore Hill/Mt. Mist section Sunday.