Any other newbie downhill skiers out there?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

una_dogger

Reaction score
I just started this year -- and I'm having a blast!

Yesterday was my breakthrough day -- out of the learning area and cruising the greens at Bretton Woods! Yippee! I skied all of the greens at least once -- I'm pretty sore today -- totally different muscles. :eek:

Any other newbie skiers out there looking for someone to progress with? Maybe one saturday per month at Bretton?

:)

Sabrina,
Welcome to the wonderful world of downhill :)
Even though Brian and I never had a chance to start you off on skiing like we talk about, I am happy to see that MJ finally got you out there. Maybe you'll come to the Sugarloaf trip next year.

sli74

sli74 said:
Sabrina,
Maybe you'll come to the Sugarloaf trip next year.

sli74

Count *us* in! I have already told MJ that there is nothing that will keep us away from the Sugarloaf trip next year!!!!!

:D

I should point out that MichaelJ skiied greens with me all day yesterday with the exception of a few black diamond runs while I was taking a *much needed* lactic-acid-removal break!

But, since I would like to advance without totally cramping his fun, I'd like to start a little VfTT newbie downhill buddy system!

Yvon, can we get you and Annie out there? There are *amazing* views of the Presidential Range from Bretton Woods (although not yesterday).

Last edited:
I dont think we will go this winter, but we will go in NH during our summer vacation after we have finish our ADK46.

Sabrina - the best piece of advice (not that you asked for advise) is to leave MJ for a few runs to himself and take lessons. It's that safest, fastest way to learn to ski well.

Not only for safety and speed in learning... but if you don't spend the money now... you'll spend two or three times as much later on trying to get rid of your "bad skiing" habits. Trust me! :cool:

PS - and it doesn't have to be at a "big" mtn area - find a good local hill with a reputable ski school program and go for it.

PSS - the worst thing you can do for your off-snow relationship is to teach one another on snow. Have fun together skiing, but leave the lessons to a professional.

Welcome to a new fun, exciting sport world that you can integrate into your hiking world!! :D

So you've been hiding out on the ski slopes, huh Sabrina?
I've been missing your fun trip reports over on that ADK forum. Have fun on the planks in the meantime!

Thanks, Bubba and Audrey! All great advice, and we've been following that model exactly! MJ skiied with me at Bretton because he's a nice guy and didn't want me spending my first day on the "real" slopes all by my lonesome. :p

I've taken lessons at Wachusett (our local mountain) and Waterville Valley -- I'm just not ready for another lesson until I'm ready to go to transition to the blues. ;)

ADKdremn, didn't you notice my avatar on ADK High Peaks!?? I won't be back in the Daks until Spring, I missed my weather window for finishing on Haystack with Terra. :(

una_dogger said:
I've taken lessons at Wachusett (our local mountain) and Waterville Valley -- I'm just not ready for another lesson until I'm ready to go to transition to the blues. ;)

I'd suggest, depending upon where you live, checking out Blue Hills, Nashoba, Ski Ward, or Bradford...they're tiny, but they're also rather affordable. Other than Ski Ward, they all have some steep(ish) terrain, so you could refine your skills. Pick a non-race/school groups night and you'll be able to do laps. Though expensive, I'd suggest getting a private lesson with a PSIA certified instructor - it sounds like you're at the stage now where people tend to develop bad habits - good to pay the extra bucks and get them ironed out before they become chronic!

Even though I was already an excellent skier (no false modesty here :) ) I took a weekly series of lessons about 8 years ago with a level 3 instructor. I could ski down anything at the time but I did it all intuitively having started to ski at age 5.

The lessons had an amazing impact on my skiing and I had a lot more fun afterwards. Funny though, I hardly ever downhill ski anymore and hiking does very little to get you in shape for those double black diamond mogul fields.

rocket21 said:
I'd suggest, depending upon where you live, checking out Blue Hills, Nashoba, Ski Ward, or Bradford...they're tiny, but they're also rather affordable. . . . Pick a non-race/school groups night and you'll be able to do laps.

Nashoba is Westford is a great place to get in a few hours of weeknight (or weekday) skiing, for anyone living in the western 'burbs of Boston. It also has one of the better slopeside restaurants/bars, which overlooks most of the terrain - non-skiers actually go there. Both the restaurant and the slopes are zooey, however, on those kid race nights, so call ahead.

Lessons, lessons, lessons. I'm going through it now with both kids. Incidentally, when I was learning, the "better skiers" said to avoid Bretton Woods because everyone there has bad habits. I don't recall specifically what they meant by that but the comment was made by several and it stuck with me. It may mean nothing.

Note that the biggest argument I ever got in with my wife (we were still only dating at the time) was when she dragged me down a trail that was over my head...

Then again, at Attitash one day, I was still snowplowing the greens when she asked if she could go do some blacks and meet for lunch. Fine, I said. Well, right after she left I shifted into parallel turns. She used to ski 20% and wait, 20% and wait, etc. After lunch she stopped and I skied right by her, quite triumphantly I might add ;)

Now she's skiing with our daughter a lot. Which is good, because she's losing the "you can't spend money on hiking gear leg" as the lift pass bills pile up ;) ;)

Tim

Amicus said:
Nashoba is Westford is a great place to get in a few hours of weeknight (or weekday) skiing, for anyone living in the western 'burbs of Boston. It also has one of the better slopeside restaurants/bars, which overlooks most of the terrain - non-skiers actually go there. Both the restaurant and the slopes are zooey, however, on those kid race nights, so call ahead.

Hah -- I've been to the restaurant several times but never skied there.

Tim

David Metsky said:
Drop the training heels and go telemark. You know you want to.

I've thought about it, since it would bring my level back down closer to hers, but the non-release bindings make me nervous. Plus, I'm having too much fun this year tearing up the bumps and trees. So maybe next year. Or I'll pick up a board ... hmm ....