Mt Cabot parking

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jasonst

Reaction score
Does anyone out there have any info on the land dispute at the Mt Cabot trailhead? Is there parking there or is there an alternate parking lot somewhere. Any info would be appreciated!

Although there is evidence the landowner does not have the right to do so, he is posting no trespassing signs on the trail. The forest service is asking people not to hike the Mt. Cabot Trail because the land issue has not been resolved. I guess it's up to you whether you want hike it under those circumstances.

I was there this winter when the trail appeared to be reopened & several groups had hiked it. Apparently, a neighbor near the trailhead had put up a sign saying the trail was opened and there was a small parking area nearby, plowed out for about two cars. Since then, the sign has been removed and the private landowner has put up no trespassing signs again and has stopped people on the trail, telling them to turn back.

- Ivy

The official word from the Forest Service is that the trail is closed and they ask you to approach Mt Cabot from one of the other trails. That doesn't really have an impact on whether it is legal or illegal, but they would prefer not to antagonize the landowner and potentially other landowners.

-dave-

I just hiked Cabot from the Hatchery last weekend. I did it via York pond trail to Kilkenny ridge trail. This was a longer way than Bunnell Notch trail but we were hoping to be in position to hike over the Weeks to Waumbek. We bailed on day 2 and drove around to hike via Starr King due mostly to tough route finding. The Kilkenny ridge trail over to Cabot from Willard notch was tough not only because of difficult routefinding but also because ove the 3 minor peaks that you have to scale before dropping down and then climbing Cabot. We also had to bushwhack from the cabin to the summit because the trail just DISAPPEARED! :confused:

Jasonst said:
We also had to bushwhack from the cabin to the summit because the trail just DISAPPEARED! :confused:

Yeah, that portion of the trail really needs to be re-blazed. I also ended up bushwhacking to the summit when we hiked the trail in Feb. Every once in a while I'd spot a blaze somewhere off my path. But when I'd walk over to it, I couldn't figure out where to go from there, so I would end up making my own way again. It is probably a little more discernable when the snow drifts are gone.

- Ivy