Winter duds

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rup

Reaction score
After the base layer, what are you wearing for winter hiking now. wool, and goretex pants? Same above the waste?

Neither - use softshells. They're so versatile, you usually don't need longjohns under them unless it's subzero/very windy.

For above the waist - SOSO. Poly of some flavor, fleece is some flavor(s) and shell as needed.

Myself, it's usually sporthill XC pants, and poly pro underneigth unless it's warm. Top: polypro and lightweight fleece, and a wind jacket.

If I ever get close to a flame, I'll melt.

rup said:
After the base layer, what are you wearing for winter hiking now. wool, and goretex pants? Same above the waste?
Oh, to have back the Teen Age Waste (land)...

Funny, I just sent this almost same PM to a friend here;

I wear a wicking tee shirt (OR Sequence, wool blend), and MAYBE a capilene long sleave if it's really cold (but this would get wet and/or de-layered soon), under a Mammut Laser softshell jacket. I also carry a Mountain Hardwear (goretex xcr) hard shell jacket and Sierra Designs hooded down jacket. I've never used the down jacket on a mountain, but the hardshell is needed for periods above treeline on windy/cold days. On the bottom I wear capilene or fleece long johns (depending on temps) and Mammut Champ softshell pants. I also carry Marmot Precip pants as a hard shell, if needed.

Wool gloves, mitts, shell gloves, wool socks, change of base layer and head coverage round out the winter wear. Duplicates and triplicates of some items.

MEC Ferrata Ultra pants (softshell) over polypro tights or micro-fleece long johns, depending on temperature. If climbing and working hard, just a polypro long sleeve shirt and fleece vest on top. Sometimes add to that a long sleeve micro-fleece, or heavier fleece, and/or a non-Goretex shell if there is precipitation or snow falling from trees.

Of course wool socks, wool mitts, OR shell mitts, fleece gloves, fleece hat, fleece head band, etc. as conditions and temperatures warrant.