Metacomet-Monadnock-Mattabesett Trail News

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dr_wu002 said:
I'm not against new trails, but I wonder if they will provide ongoing funds to maintain the trail? There were no $ signs in those references. Without ongoing $$, or a large group of volunteers, it won't work out.

I know this is different, but there are already lots of trails in the Catskills that get little, if any, maintenance.

Tom Rankin said:
I'm not against new trails, but I wonder if they will provide ongoing funds to maintain the trail? There were no $ signs in those references. Without ongoing $$, or a large group of volunteers, it won't work out.

I know this is different, but there are already lots of trails in the Catskills that get little, if any, maintenance.
The M-M trail, at least in Massachusetts, has been (I believe) maintained by the AMC and I should say, the maintenance has been superb. At least on the sections that I've been on. I don't know who is going to pay for maintenance in the future, but in the past it seems like it's been done by a well organized group of volunteers.

I'm not an expert on the trail, so take that with a grain of salt.

-Dr. Wu

This is an interesting development. It sounds like a step forward for the "New England Trail," which you can read about here.

Over the course of seven hikes between Nov. 2006 and Nov. 2007, Tramper Al planned and led a number of us on a traverse of the Conn. section, starting where the Metacomet crosses the Mass. border and winding up on a beach in West Haven. We proceeded in an orderly fashion as long as we had the Metacomet and Mattabassett trails to follow (and they are both well-maintained), but once the latter took a final turn north in Durham, we had to do a fair amount of improvising to reach Long Island Sound while minimizing road walks.

In our improvising, we got some excellent help from Paul G., the proprietor of that NE Trail site, who led us on the stretch from Durham to Sleeping Giant Park in Hampden. I would guess he'll welcome this.

Amicus said:
This is an interesting development. It sounds like a step forward for the "New England Trail," which you can read about here.
Thanks for the link. 800 miles. At first I groaned when I saw that it linked with the Cohos Trail, but then again, maybe the M-M people can get together with the Cohos people and get the thing really going again.

-Dr. Wu

jrichard said:
I'm curious... What problems have you seen on the CT?
Nothing personally except that the Cohos Trail has had a lot of problems over the years, unfortunately, and at times has appeared doomed. So, the linking of these trails to an apparent lost cause at first seemed auspicious but then again, the potential consolidation of resources for all the trails makes me feel more optimistic. In concept the Cohos Trail is pretty awesome but unfortunately it's had a string of bad luck and lack of funds. Perhaps its misfortune will now change.

-Dr. Wu

One nice thing about a trail located so close to high population densities is that people won't need to spend so much on gas to get on a trail. True, the quality of the experience will not be the same but it should also attract more volunteers for maintenance.

Stan said:
True, the quality of the experience will not be the same
I've never felt this way. I have not hiked the entire M-M Trail, yet, but the sections that I've been on have been incredible experiences. It's a very different experience than hiking in the Whites or VT or NY but not inferior, in my opinion. The trails are as rugged and the views oftentimes expansive... true, you're not nestled amongst high peaks, but the variety of terrain that you experience makes up for that. Close proximity for Massholes makes it a bit cheaper than driving to the Whites every weekend for me. And, while it doesn't replace the Whites (for me), it's a great supplement! Massachusetts has some nice forests and trail systems.

-Dr. Wu

I can understand what Stan is saying.

While hiking the Cohos trail, we could hike for dozens of miles without seeing anyone, not even a hiker. While I do enjoy the Monadnock-Sunapee greenway, it just isn't the same. There are more people, homes, etc...