Winter road access for Stratton in southern Vermont.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In past years the road from West Wardsboro (East Side) has been plowed to the Long Trail. I have never seen it plowed from the East Arlington Side. I haven't been down there in winter for a couple of years however.

I'd go on the Kelly Stand Road(Arlington-West Wardsboro Road) off route 100 in West Wardsboro(which is what the others have said). West Wardsboro is about 9 miles south of jct with route 30 and 100 in Jamacia, on route 100. Go west on Kelly Stand Road(about 7 miles). It is usually(haven't been there this winter) plowed to the Appalachian/Long Trails. From there it is 3.8 miles north to the summit.

If you'd like some company, let me know and we can take the old trail which is 2.8 miles each way. It is about an hours drive for me.

Ayuh, it's an XC trail / snowmobile route from the west and is not plowed. We've skied it - it's nice, pretty as it winds up the valley, and of course packed well by the snowmobilers.

Also, don't try to take it from the west side in spring (mud season) unless you've got a seriously appropriate vehicle. Last year una_dogger and I saw a little coupe (Honda Civic?) stuck in the mud over halfway up the wheels.

Thanks to all for valuable info and MTNRUNR you've got a deal. I'll post you a private message soon. Would like to finish Vermont part of my Winter NE100 this season (only Stratton & Dorset left - would plan to do both same day).

Pierre

Last edited: