Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Keeping toes toasty

Quote Originally Posted by JOD
    Start off with clean and dry feet. Wash your feet with soap and water in the morning.
    JOD,
    That makes sense, but if my wife saw me washing me feet at 3 am before a long hike, she would think I've taken my hobby just a wee bit too far

Regards,
    Marty
    So when you reach the bottom line
    The only thing to do is climb
    Pick yourself up off the floor
    Anything ya want is yours

Song: Bottom Line
    Artist: Big Audio Dynamite
    Album: This is Big Audio Dynamite
    Year: 1985

Keeping your feet dry (or drier) by putting antiperspirant on them also helps. Start at least a few days before you go out.

Doug

Marty, tell her it's a safety issue, not necessarily for hygene. You don't want to get frostbitten tootsies!

Another tip is to start off with dry boots. I know this is common sense, but if you're hiking/ skiing multiple days drying the boots overnight is key. If the boots have an inner liner remove the liner to get the shells dry too.

Hotronic makes a battery powered boot heater. The newest model "Power Plus m4" has 4 NiMH cells. They last between 2.5 - 21 hours depending on the temp setting. There are 4 temp settings.

warm toes-- neoprene socks

Sherpakid--
    I've had good experiences with neoprene socks (or Hytrel). They stay warm even when they are wet from perspiration or boot leaks. I use polypropylene liners with them. A much more expensive option but lightweight is to use mukluks with felt liners, good for snowshoes but not crampons or downhill skis.
    Walt

Quote Originally Posted by sherpakid
    I've been trying to find solutions to help keep my toes toasty and warm on my next trip. My current hiking boots are not insulated. I wear the Smartwool Expedition Weight wool socks and a liner and my toes always do the "freezing hurting pain to numb" thing every time I go out.

Does anyone have any recommendations/solutions to keeping toes warm or do I just have to deal with numb toes for the entire trip?

-sherpakid

Gators

Here is a link for Gators:
    http://www.ems.com/catalog/product_d...=1203532063851

I wear them all winter for running in slush and cold. They don't add a whole lot of volume and are along the lines of the neoprene socks except they only come about halfway up your foot and are fairly inexpensive.

Jime - do they stay in place? I've been afraid I wouldn't like the feeling of something "incomplete" in my sock. (Now if it was a folded up $100 bill, that would be okay.)
    Ellen

Volunteer Maintainer: East Pond Trail

"Through winter-time we call on spring/And through the spring on summer call/And when abounding hedges ring/Declare that winter's best of all/And after that there's nothing good/Because the spring-time has not come... William Butler Yeats

Smile Stayed Warm

Lots of great ideas! I actually went to EMS and Tent & Trails in Manhattan and unfortunately the sales staff was not too helpful with insulated boots. At Tent & Trails the salesman tried to sell me a pair of Scarpa's that although were great, were not insulated, and basically the same in terms of warmth as my Asolo 520's. At EMS, the salesman's attitude was kinda of like, "You aren't climbing Everest, you're just going up to the 'Daks" and he tried to sell me a casual Solomon winter boot. Frustrated, I left and ended up purchasing a new pair of Smart Wool expedition weight socks. I wore them with liners and my feet were actually warm. The temps were -11F. For now I'll stick with my current setup and find some new insulated boots next season.

Quote Originally Posted by eruggles
    Jime - do they stay in place? I've been afraid I wouldn't like the feeling of something "incomplete" in my sock. (Now if it was a folded up $100 bill, that would be okay.)
    My experience has been that they stay in place very well UNLESS you wash and dry them in the drier (my bad). Washing is okay but the heat from the drier seems to do something to them. They are designed to go over your socks and I don't mind them at all. And I'm very sensitive....

I like the $100 bill idea! Let's market it and see how many "investors" we can find. Remember what PT Barnum said......

I remember reading a post on this subject, because I started it!
    http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?t=10165

Pete Hickey said to use bread bags anything he says is alright by me.