Reddington-S.Crocker-Crocker

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rejean

Reaction score
Saturday morning after one night of winter camping on the side of
CVR I went hiking for those 3 summits. I follow CVR and the ski-doo trail
for very long. Effectively too long, at one point the trail start to go down
and I started to see the vallée after the Crockers. So I turned back and
backtrack for 10-15 minutes. I used my compass and went directly to
the mtn that I tought is Reddington. Very very hard bushwack and lots
of snow. Before the summit I see all the yellow paint on the tree and I
know that it was the AT trail not far. 5 minutes later I was at S. Crockers
summit. I went to N. Crockers and back and decided to keep Reddington
for another time.

Some one know where to leave CVR for Reddington. I went way to far....

Rejean - it's not clear to me from your post how far in you followed the CVR, but if you ended up on So Crocker, you may not have gone far enough.

This route is snowmobiled to the summit, but there are several tricky turns. I was there on 1/19; allow me to attempt to describe the route:
-from rt 27 take CVR 6.9 mi south to Caribou Pond. The pond is not obvious, but the road reaches a major Y-junction here; bear RIGHT.
-take this right fork for approx 0.8 mi to another junction
-bear RIGHT at this second junction (more steeply uphill, actually heading almost North away from Redington) and stay on this road until you are almost at the top of the ridge.
-near the ridgetop, take the 90 degree LEFT road which countours back to the west, then south, descending slightly in a while (is this where you started your bushwhack?) to cross a small stream.
-approx 100 yds past this stream there is a major intersection. Continue straight onto a narrow (3-4 ft wide) path (flagging was here last month) through 5-6 ft new growth fir. This narrow section will shortly lead you to the base of the summit cone where the trail turns 90 degrees to the RIGHT.
-a few tenths uphill to the summit!!

Bon Chance!!

Rejean -
Here are Mohamed's excellent directions to Redington. I have successfully used them twice. They are essentially the same as mhrsebago's.

Redington

This route should be a heck of a lot easier than bushwhacking from S. Crocker in the deep snow :eek:

Regards,
marty

Hi Rejean,

It sounds like you missed the Left road and continued straight. If you'd gone LEFT(descibed by MHRSEBAGO) you'd have gotten there. When I did it a few years ago I took that LEFT but missed going left after after the decribed small stream crossing(the left wasn't marked or packed). Instead I followed the packed snowmobile trail up over the saddle between Redington and the Crockers and soon figured I'd gone to far and turned back. The second time I went up there was a packed snowshoe trail to the left of the snowmobile trail and it was a very easy time from there. I'll check this afternoon to see if I have a "map" of it I can send.

Great job bushwhacking alone to South Crocker!

Quote from MHRSEBAGO:
-near the ridgetop, take the 90 degree LEFT road which countours back to the west, then south, descending slightly in a while (is this where you started your bushwhack?) to cross a small stream.
-approx 100 yds past this stream there is a major intersection. Continue straight onto a narrow (3-4 ft wide) path (flagging was here last month) through 5-6 ft new growth fir. This narrow section will shortly lead you to the base of the summit cone where the trail turns 90 degrees to the RIGHT.
-a few tenths uphill to the summit!!

MTNRUNR said:
Hi Rejean,

Instead I followed the packed snowmobile trail up over the saddle between Redington and the Crockers and soon figured I'd gone to far and turned back.

I was exactly on the saddle and I bushwack on the right side. If I would
at done it on the left, Reddington was there.... less than 1/2 mile and
maybe 500 feet up. I would return in two weeks. :)