Gear Modification: MSR Snowshoes

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bikehikeskifish

VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
I'd like to see some discussions on gear modifications, improvements, tricks, etc. In the bicycling world, people are always drilling parts to make them lighter, mixing and matching various stuff, etc. I want to have some similar discussions here. I'll start with my MSR Denali snowshoes. They are the cat's meow for traction, weight and ease of use, but I have a few minor issues with them.

First problem: I just returned my MSRs for new ones because the televator notches rounded over, causing the televator to slide backwards. For now this solved by new 'shoes, but if this is a recurring problem, what has anyone else done to solve (prevent) it?

Second problem: The gray plastic loop on the televator, which assists in putting it up and down, slides around, and down the side of the televator itself, rendering it unhelpful, and even making stepping on the televator "spring-y"

This one I solved by wrapping a skinny piece of duct tape around the televator in the middle of the light gray loop.

This photo illustrates the above two problems:

Third problem: I find my feet twist a bit in the bindings. This is more problematic when on the televators than not. I've tightened the straps as tight as I dare w/o squishing my feet. The rotational forces are countered only by the friction against the boot -- no slots or bumps to keep the boot from turning.

Fourth problem: The straps don't stay under the clips as forward motion in the snow pushes them out. I suppose I could just turn the clips around. This isn't really a problem unless one starts to trip on the loose and flapping straps. I.e., they stay hitched.

Let's hear your ideas! Also, feel free to start additional threads. I do recall Doug Paul having an excellent commentary on making-your-own ice axe leash.

Tim

1. I've noticed this, but it has not become a problem.
2. I did the duct tape thing too. The current grip is better than the old one at least.
3. I just read someone had the opposite problem! Never happened to me.
4. I've seen people fold one strap under the next.

1.) You might file the retaining notch deeper with the appropriate chainsaw file. It might make it difficult to release when needed. I have not noticed this. It occurs to me that the motion of my boot against the televator is such that it stays upright.

2.) Yeah, mine too. I always take a knee when adjusting them and grab the wire, so I'd say it doesn't bother me.

3.) I find this the only bothersome aspect of these snowshoes. I have no solution.

4.) I never use the clips anyway and was considering cutting them off.

>>> Some have been reporting that the split ring can be pealed out by stepping on a rock or stick in the wrong way. Then the hinge pin backs out and you are SOL in the woods. MSR has a field repair kit, but I just went to my local hardware store and bought some cotter pins of the same diameter as the hinge pins. I can install them in the comfort of my own home with gloves on. I'm ready for this eventuality.

Last edited:
For #1 - I tried exactly that -- filing with a chainsaw file. However, it still collapsed. It occurs to me that most people probably put the bar forward of their heel, while I, with my size 13 boots, tend to land with my heel on the bar. The latter appears to be more comfortable, and it works just fine with one shoe, however, the other one collapsed after about a dozen steps. So... I have a new pair and we'll see if bar-forward-of-heel is comfortable and less prone to falling. The heel strap is toward the end of its range though.

For #2 - I use the tip of my pole. For putting them up, it's convenient if the person behind you aids with their pole, but it's doable with one's own pole.

For #4 - I will try shortening the straps using the inside buckle. I realize that under tension they aren't coming loose anyway.

The cotter pin trick is useful. You can also call MSR and claim to have lost one and I hear they'll send you a replacement...

Tim

Last edited:
For problem # 2. I tied a 7-8 inch piece of parachute cord to each televator. Pulling them up is easy just pull towards you. Putting them down, just pull back and away from your body. The cord does flop around, but I have had no issues w/ that. Tails fit on no problem. My shoes are the older ones w/ just a tiny piece of black rubber to lift the televators. Putting tape to keep them in place wouldn’t help b/c the rubber is so small you can’t grab it too well w/ gloves on.