Mt Washington Auto Road-Does it Count?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim lombard

Reaction score
I've done Washington in all seasons from the traditional route and am hoping to do a winter ascent via the auto-road at night.

If I needed it for my list, would it count?

Thanks Marc,
I read this from a 1937 National Geographic copy about the White Mts.

The hiker's line of least resistance is the Carriage Road which loops up the mountain in eighty odd curves. This automobile route to the summit is about twice as long as the hiking trails on the eastern slopes, but many climbers prefer the road, as the grades are less precipitous and there is no danger of losing the way in case of a sudden storm

Its one of three routes I have left to have hiked it from every trail/road or rr tracks.

Jim lombard said:
I read this from a 1937 National Geographic copy about the White Mts.

The hiker's line of least resistance is the Carriage Road which loops up the mountain in eighty odd curves. This automobile route to the summit is about twice as long as the hiking trails on the eastern slopes, but many climbers prefer the road, as the grades are less precipitous and there is no danger of losing the way in case of a sudden storm.
Actually it is possible to lose the way in poor visibility if the road is drifted in. IIRC, the potential trouble areas are the flats near Nelson and Ball Crags.

This area is also exposed to the prevailing winds.

Doug

Sorry, Jim, but it won't count. See the FAQ page for more details.

Washington, Mansfield and Equinox are specifically mentioned on that page.

Kevin,

My understanding is that you are not allowed to use them to drive to the summit. Makes sense, since that paragraph deals with driving to the trailhead. In other words, you are not allowed to drive up the Auto Road to the parking lot, call it a trailhead, and hike from there to the summit.

I am almost certain that I am correct, but hope that Eric will give us the official answer.

Jim,

I remember reading (maybe in an old WMG) that the auto road can be treacherous (ice and wind) in winter, and that it is not an easy way up the mountain.

The FAQ (rules) says:

For peaks with trails starting at maintained roads the rule is simple: Drive to the trailhead then walk (note that you are not allowed to use the auto roads on Mts Washington, Mansfield and Equinox).

The confusion might come from the fact that the (note... not allowed to use auto roads) comes after the word walk.

I would think, if one can bushwhack up, or take a trail, or the ski trails at Wildcat/Tecumseh, then one could use the auto road.

Tim

giggy said:
If you have fun and enjoy yourself - it counts.

That's my line of thinking. I don't really care who thinks it is 'official' or not since I'm never planning on getting a badge for going hiking. If I did Big George via the Auto Road in February, I would consider myself having bagged the peak in winter and would have a pretty satisfied conscience that I earned the right to think so.

giggy said:
If you have fun and enjoy yourself - it counts.

Agreed. What a silly argument.

Plus, hiking the auto road would make the hike much longer....possibly making it harder. Just "bushwhack" off the road. Then maybe it will count. ;)

grouseking

It would certainly seem be an issue of semantics.
I would feel pretty good with myself bagging George on foot from the Route 16 Auto Road parking lot in February...Enjoy!!

I did Washington via the Auto Road last February. I had a perfect day weather wise. I would make sure though that if you're going do do this route to make sure that you have VERY good weather. You'll spend over 3.5 miles above tree line if you follow the road.

Here's the link to my photos from my trip last year:

http://sports.webshots.com/album/557912429gKNQse

Assuming "counts" means for the AMC4000 club, the AMC 4000 footer club is a game with rules and you are supposed to play by the rules if you want to play the game. This is an interpretation of the rules, just like where the real summit of Owl's Head is.

It doesn't matter if it feels good or not. If they are picky enough to demand that you not start before the minute of the winter solstice and you must be off the trail before the minute of the spring equinox, then they should be able to rule on this.

More fuel then... why do the ski trails count... or do they?

Tim

They also have a rule on hiking Peak Above the Nubble. If you can find the now several years old illegally cut trail, and use it you can't count the peak for the NEHH list.

I hear if you hike with one foot on the road and one off the road it counts... but only during even numbered days.

Jim lombard said:
This automobile route to the summit is about twice as long as the hiking trails on the eastern slopes, but many climbers prefer the road, as the grades are less precipitous and there is no danger of losing the way in case of a sudden storm
I agree with ME and disagree with KR - I believe that it counts if you walk up/down and Gene Daniell would agree but it's not him that makes the rules any more

<FLAME>It's too bad the 4k club apparently considers its sole mission to be selling patches and holding awards ceremonies, and can't find time to clarify its rules</FLAME>

I also agree with DP that it is quite possible to get lost in bad conditions on the auto road, one of the sno-cat drivers who'd driven it hundreds of times was lost for several hours once when he got out to search for the road

Hiking it at night in winter _may_ be technically illegal if you need a trail pass which aren't valid at night, not that that has ever stopped anybody :)
http://greatglentrails.com/Winter-Page-305.html

RoySwkr said:
<FLAME>It's too bad the 4k club apparently considers its sole mission to be selling patches and holding awards ceremonies, and can't find time to clarify its rules</FLAME>

I tend to agree somewhat, although I bet they will get a laugh over the fact that this is even being debated as anything other than "Don't drive to the summit" :D

For the case of Mt Washington, the auto road in the past has actively prevented people from hiking up or down the mountain via the road even in winter unless they have bought a ticket. It is not always enforced. They own the road so they get to make the rules, so perhaps the 4000 footer club rule was put in place to keep people from unknowlingly breaking a rule of the auto road.

It is legal in the winter if you buy a trail pass. I have only been up once in the winter, and I bought a pass. In the summer I don't believe they require a pass, but if you hike the road keep your eyes open and stay to the side. Don't assume that the cars will stop for you or move out of the way. I have done many training runs in the spring on the road and have never been hasseled by employees of the auto road.

Rule

I think it's pretty straight forward:

...you are not allowed to use the auto roads on Mts Washington, Mansfield and Equinox.

What's to interpret?

I've got to agree with Tim, these are the rules. Further on it says this:

Notice the use of the word "game". Games have rules, which may well be arbitrary, but if you play a game you should follow the rules. If you do not like the rules, you are free to define your own game, but must clearly differentiate it from the "official" game.

I hiked on the Auto Road once in winter, it looked like this:

54edutrip.jpg

KDT