Snowshoe advice

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maria

Reaction score
Hi there -

Now that the winter sales are here, I'm looking to invest in some snowshoes. I was more of a xc skier and downhiller before, but I'm beginning to explore winter hiking too and obviously need them. Tried out a Redfeather pair last weekend but the binding was this strappy kind and didn't hold my feet in place straight on the snowshoe and it was hard to walk regularly. Not fun. None of my friends could figure out how to use it correctly either so I just returned that one.

And suggestions on favorites? Or advice on the best types of binding? There seem to be all kinds out there.

Thanks! Maria

Welcome to the world of snowshoeing. I have had several pair of Tubbs (upgrading to a more aggressive model) and they've held up well, but I also bought a spare pair made by Atlas (from an EMS store when they were selling off some older rental equipment). I think you're doing the right thing by trying them out and seeing how they feel to put on/take off. The mistake I made was by thinking of just cost, not what I was going to be doing with them -- but on the other hand, I was a novice and had no idea how much I'd do with them, what amount of weight I'd carry (who, me? sleep outside in winter? i don't think so - well maybe, definitely!). I've heard really good things about MSRs -- have asked people I meet on the trail because a friend is getting ready to upgrade from older Sherpas and is considering those.

Last edited:
Err on the smaller side if you have a choice. You will hear how you need 25", 30" snowshoes based on your weights. Unless you are going to be walking in a field, go with the smaller size if possible. Mountain trails are tough to maneuver with some of these monsters that some salespeople seem to recommend.

Dug's right about not getting a pair that is too large. When I made my last change I had the choice of same length shoe but with a binding that pivoted, thereby making climbing easier than the model with a lesser binding that just twisted. I'm also wary about the model of snowshoe that require a specific boot and another brand that is less expensive but has been known to bend. I've learned the lesson more than a few times to buy right-enough quality the first time around as much as possible.

I bought a pair of Tubbs 30” a few years ago on sale for $104.00 and to be honest they are way too big unless I am breaking trail. I borrowed a pair of my sister’s Redfeathers 25” for most of my winter hikes this season but broke the front crampon doing some 4Ks. Go with a smaller shoe but make certain the crampon is aggressive enough for larger peaks. I’m doing the Hancocks on Saturday with a group and I have no choice but to use the Tubbs. However, with the storm coming on Tuesday/Wednesday I might be breaking trail anyway.

I just bought a pair of women's MSR Lightning Ascents. In the past I've also had Atlas & Tubbs, as well as wooden. So far, the MSR's are my favorite. I've used them only on dog walking, they haven't seen the mountains yet. I chose these for several reasons:

1. No cloth in bindings (the Atlas & Tubbs that I've seen have nylon straps). This is because I've had the straps get wet, then freeze. Essentially, this means the straps are no longer adjustable. I'm either stuck with them off, or stuck with them on.
2. Light weight and narrow width (the lightest and narrowest I could find). In the past few years, snowshoeing has increasingly bothered my arthritis, to the point that I'm now reluctant to head out for more than 5-7 miles. In tests of about a mile, so far I'm finding no pain with the MSR's. With all other shoes I've worn this winter (3 pairs), I've had significant discomfort within 1/2 mile.
3. Ease of bindings. I can manage them with one hand, mittened. Nice for mid-hike gear changes.

I was wondering about the men/women versions out there - whether it was a marketing ploy or it's better to go with gender specific vs. unisex.

Thanks for the feedback and MSR does seem like the way to go. I'm not sure if I'll find them on sale, but better to pay for higher quality.

Maria said:
I was wondering about the men/women versions out there - whether it was a marketing ploy or it's better to go with gender specific vs. unisex.

Thanks for the feedback and MSR does seem like the way to go. I'm not sure if I'll find them on sale, but better to pay for higher quality.
Back when I started (in the 1970s) they were just snowshoes and both men and women seemed to use them equally well. The men's/women's versions have come out since then. I believe the women's versions are slightly narrower in the tail.

I'm not convinced that it makes much difference, but I haven't studied the issue in any detail.

Size and general shape are much more important--small and narrow is fine on a packed trail. More area (=more flotation) is useful if you will be in deep powder. And shorter and wider is better for climbing steep slopes. There is also the question of how wide are the local packed trails... Since most others in the NE use narrow snowshoes, the trails are narrow trenches and you are essentially forced to use a snowshoe that is narrow.

Since most NE hiking is on packed trails, a small and narrow snowshoe like the MSR Denali Ascent is a good choice. It also has good built-in metal crampons so it has very good traction on steep packed slopes/trails.

Doug

Last edited:
I can't comment on snowshoe manufacturer's and gender models, but I can't stand it when something is made for women and you can tell because of the color alone! I love Superfeet in my boots and shoes, but the W's model is purple and 'way too narrow for my feet. I don't want a pink backpack and I am not a fan of pale pastel colors so won't buy any colors that manufacturers try to market to me because of my gender if they don't fit my requirements for quality and size. (Forgive my ranting and raving. It must be because I didn't get out to hike last weekend. Either that or I can't control my emotions! :p )

eruggles said:
I don't want a pink backpack and I am not a fan of pale pastel colors so won't buy any colors that manufacturers try to market to me because of my gender if they don't fit my requirements for quality and size. (Forgive my ranting and raving. It must be because I didn't get out to hike last weekend. Either that or I can't control my emotions! :p )

Having worked in academia for the past 20 odd years most of these colorful items are marketed to college women and not hiking women. I’ve lost count on how many pink North Face vests I’ve seen on campus, yet I have never seen one in the backcountry.

MadRiver said:
Having worked in academia for the past 20 odd years most of these colorful items are marketed to college women and not hiking women. I’ve lost count on how many pink North Face vests I’ve seen on campus, yet I have never seen one in the backcountry.
Nonetheless, it is still a problem that some women's gear is more tailored to fashion than function. The situation is not as bad as it used to be, but one still needs to keep an eye open.

<pure speculation>
In the case of snowshoes, it could also be tailoring to average body weights and leg lengths. If this is the case, taller and heavier women should consider men's snowshoes.
</pure speculation>

Doug

MadRiver said:

I think you've described North Face in general in the last ten years......

One thing I can't stress enough is the crampon: I bought a pair of Tubbs mountain 30s simply because they have an aggressive crampon. They've saved me several times when on ice. I've seen people slip and slide all over the place on the shoes with less agressive crampons... Even to the point they had to turn back...

I can't comment on snowshoe size other than err on the small side. Manuvering in the woods and around rocks is difficult with larger shoes.

I'm in a difficult spot on account of my weight. I weigh 260 Lb WITHOUT an overnight pack. I've had problems an un-broken trail after 3-4 feet of fresh powder simply because I sink like a rock! I think anyone would without monsterous snowshoes on...

I think to pick snowshoes, you have to tell us what you want to do. Snowshoes are not a "one product does all" gear choice anymore.

Plastic MSRs are great for climbing steep packed trails up mountains; but they are really not a very good choice at all for easy hiking in the woods over rolling terrain: they are small, clunky, and make a lot of noise.

The flip side is that all snowshoes work "pretty well" and as long as your aren't set on climbing mountains, you can usually put them on your feet and start walking more or less. The bigger they are, the more you will float in deep snow; the smaller they are, the lighter and better they may be following someone else's trail.

Bindings are a major difference. Some bindings pivot freely, so the shoe will drag on the ground at the heel. Other binds are wound tight and designed to hold the back of the shoe up. There are advantages and disadvantages to both approaches, although in many ways the "best" binding is often one that does a bit of both. Free pivot is good because it doesn't throw snow all over the back of your legs, but it much harder to walk backwards in; also can be better on steeps because the shoe will stay parallel to the slope. Active/tight bindings are much better for backing up, running, jumping, and kicking steps.