Snowshoe advice

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am surprised it took 16 replies (michaelb) to mention the question -- What do you want to do with them. Once you answer that, better answers can be had

I will say that the most-recommended shoe for winter peakbagging, when I asked last year, was the MSR Denali Ascent, which I have, and which you can have now from EMS for $99.98--They only have them mail-order. I drove to Peterborough this weekend and picked up a replacement pair and one extra for a friend...

Tim

If you're climbing, I'd definitely go with the crampon, like The-Green-Man mentioned. The most aggressive crampon I have seen so far is the Viper/Python combo by Tubbs. I have some with the Vipers only as the Python is new, and they are awesome, much better than my MSR's for traction. My favorite snowshoes out of the 8 pairs I own are my Atlas 1025's, they are nice and narrow (they're women's), have a great binding, and awesome traction, especially on the steep stuff. But, if I had to buy a new set, I'd be torn between the Tubbs with the Viper/Python combo or the Atlas 1225's.

A lot of mine have the nylon webbing for a binding material, and it's not a problem with ice and snow, in any conditions, and they go easily on/off with mittens as well.

MadRiver said:

yes, partly true about the marketing.... but it's a link to one of the best standbys that TNF has had for years at about the same price for several years now.
The Denali Jacket....finally in colors other than black, black, black, nice to see some colors. Looking for a black jacket and black snowpants and black overmitts etc etc. I could never find anything in my pack....

Thinking about snowshoeing ...I would probably recommend a ladies snowshoe if a companiy were offering one, but would not hold out as the only reason.
Usually guys shoes are built so you feel like your waddling like a duck esp. if your new to shoeing..so why increase that motion... when it could be narrower for women . You can look at the shoe and there should be a difference in how the right and left shoes are shaped so when your feet are falling in stride the two shoes will nestle closer together with out the wadling.

Perhaps easier too think of when thinking about the old wooden shoes...esp like the Maine and Michigan style snowshoe.
Not so with a Bear paw style or a modified bears paw...they opted for oval and a lot of modern snowshoes just fell into that generic style and are only now getting back to shaped snowshoes (but marketing is probably the reason).
Racing snowshoes with the scalloped shapes to the extreme spectrum of possibilities.

When I go north to visit our friends, all have the same shape snowshoe but diiferent sizes. One size for the Mr another for size for the Mrs and yet another for their little boy when he was young.

So to have womens snowshoes is not a new concept....

Last edited:
Ok, to answer the question of what I want to use them for.

Well, as I said I'm really new to winter hiking - but think ultimately I will want to do the same kind of terrain in winter that I do in other seasons: Adks, Catkskills, VT, local stuff here in Rockland/Putnam counties if we ever get enough snow.....(sigh) Since I love to xc ski, if the terrain is rolling or even simple backcountry, I would rather just strap on my skis.

The other thing you see is the fishtail at the back of some snowshoes, but the MSR doesn't have that. I'm thinking of the MSR Women's Lightning Ascent - like the idea of keeping things as light as possible - but now that people are talking about Atlas...I'll have to think about it some more.

I think the two lightweight snowshoes would be the MSRs and the Northern Lites. I do like the idea of the MSR Lightning Ascents for certain slide climbs due to their serrated frame, acting somewhat like a crampon in some situations. Not a replacement for true crampons but in some mixed rock, ice, and snow, may be useful. If I was to buy another pair, I would consider the lightning ascents, but I am quite happy with my NLs, they have taken a beating, having survived the rocks on North Brother in Baxter and I have used them extensively this winter in peaks in ME, VT, NY (Catskills, ADKs) and not a sign of any failure. The plastic nub things on the frame joints are wearing but they are simply plastic and can be expected to wear with what I've been putting them through.

As with most snowshoes, there is a learning curve as to what conditions it excels in, what kind of traction you can get by simply walking versus a more forceful walk. I certainly have to be a bit careful on the descents with the NLs, as opposed to my old Sherpas but I don't mind the learning curve based on the 36oz claimed weight of the pair.

Jay