Warmest glove?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I realize that everyone is different in respect to how cold their hands become and when etc. I am curious to hear what people who suffer with cold hands believe is the warmest glove on the market.

I have a great system for my mitts, but gloves are tricky. The gloves I have are okay but I would venture to say there is better. I do buy larger to provide more circualtion, that definitly helps. So, in you opinion, what do you think is the warmest glove out there?

As I am usually trying to operate a camera in cold temperatures, dexterity is a must. While no glove offered me the warmth I needed, I go with a layered system.

OR PL 300 liners are top of the line
OR Contact Gloves for dexterity and some weatherproofing and warmth...
AND, if I need it, these gloves are still slender enought to fit in a mitt!
IMO the warmest mitts on the market is the OR Alti Mitt.
Using these, I (almost) never have cold hands!
Unfortunately the full system runs about $300.

For a straight glove, my friends swear by the OR Super Couloir Gloves

Last edited:
focusonbalance said:
I realize that everyone is different in respect to how cold their hands become and when etc. I am curious to hear what people who suffer with cold hands believe is the warmest glove on the market.

I have a great system for my mitts, but gloves are tricky. The gloves I have are okay but I would venture to say there is better. I do buy larger to provide more circualtion, that definitly helps. So, in you opinion, what do you think is the warmest glove out there?

I have come to the conclusion that there are none for my cold hands! I have spent and wasted lots of money with my experiments! :eek:
I have to use handwarmers in the mittens. If I use liner gloves in them, my hands freeze even faster. I need to have all digits in direct contact with each other to keep them warm.

Hey Focus -

I don't think you're going to get much useful info on warm gloves, since the average mitten is probably warmer than the best glove on the market. I came to the conclusion many years ago that fine motor control and cold weather hiking were simply incompatible.

In general, look for gloves that are stuffed with primaloft - those usually make for the best insulation.

My warmest gloves are mittens. I wasted lots of $$$s trying to find warm gloves. I find that mittens work fine for the things that I need to do with my hands while I'm hiking. For setting up camp I have a pair of EMS system III gloves so I can light the stove and setup the tent. I have to move quickly because inevitably, my hands still freeze and go numb and don't warm up until I get them back in my mitts.

My warmest glove is the next one I put on once my hands get wet and cold.

I think a wool glove with a hand warmer in a shell mitten would keep/ or get your hands warm in any weather you'll be out in. :cool: It is also a lot cheaper option than all those expensive gloves that are more about name and advertising. My 7 dollar fleece gloves from Walmart are actually better I find than the 30 dollar ones my "mom" got for me for Christmas.

I don't like liners in the glove/in a glove feature. With a liner in a mitten you get the freedom of space and a hand warmer then gets right to the fingers where in a glove they sit in your palm or back of the hand. People always under estimate how fast your hands get cold if you take them out of your glove and they have a thin layer of wet sweat on them.

Hestra gloves

I’ll add my 2 cnts here. While I’m not a winter hiker I do spend 7 – 8 hours per day outside on weekends. I’m an alpine ski race coach in NH. I’m out every weekend in all kinds of weather. We don’t get breaks to go in during races except lunch, so I’m on the hill all day starting at 7.

So back to the topic. This season I got the Hestra “vertical cut freeride” glove. Actually they were given to me by the racers as a tip for last season. These have got to be the warmest gloves I’ve EVER owned. I used to wear mittens with hand warmers during the real cold days, not this season. I was skeptical regarding wearing gloves every day but this year my hands have been toasty. I love these gloves.

I use these gloves in cold weather when mitts are not necessary. The liquid that circulates through the fingers must be heated up (regular chemical heat packs) prior to feeling any significant warmth. The gloves also lose efficiency when they get wet so I wear a liner in them.

Mittens with or without glove liners?

My fingers were the only cold part of me on Madison yesterday, wearing dry liners and primaloft-stuffed gloves. I save my mittens in case I'm stuck so they will be dry. I should probably buy another pair of them. Or at least one more pair of liners.

Whenever my fingers got cold cycling, I would always pull them out of the glove fingers and make a fist. Everything you need to know about being warm or cold you can learn from your cat. When a cat is warm, it lies on its side, fully-stretched out, legs not touching each other. When a cat is cold, it is curled up with legs and tail tucked underneath.

"Surface-to-volume ratio" is the technical term for it...

And, as mentioned above, the first rule of Nordic skiing - if your hands or feet are cold, put on a (warmer) hat.

Tim

Has anyone tried a pair of Warmlite VBL liner gloves? I keep hearing VBL socks are the way to go to keep feet warm in winter. Would the VBL liner gloves do the same????? (The only down side I note is that they are listed for $15 a pair on Warmlites site :eek: !)

Brian

Lab Gloves

I've had good success using lab gloves under my insulated fleece gloves. The vapor barrier allows the fleece gloves to stay dry all day.

You might look into nitrile gloves (the brightly colored ones). People can develop an allergy to latex. So, even thought the latex are a little more comfortable than the nitrile ones, I've been a little reluctant to use them all day.