Product Review: Kahtoola MICROspikes

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought Stabilicers were the cat's meow. Haven't used them in two years now, since I purchased the Kahtoolas. Most of my time on them is spent on glare ice while ice fishing, but I have also put them through their paces in the woods. Great piece of equipment!

had rubber spit on Baldface, and brought them back to EMS, who replaced them immediatly

My wife had a pair of the links get interwtined, required fixing with a plyers and some effort. I think I'll carry such a tool with me from now on just for emergencies.

I'll be honest with you....

I haven't seen the use for them yet. I tried Yax Pros when they hit the stores & they were all over the place. Picked up a pair of Stabilicers & put them right back on the shelf.
I tried the MS's because I called Kartoola looking for their short toothed crampons. He was the one to steer me to them early last season. Both he & EMS promised to take them back if I wasn't absolutely amazed with them.

Guess what:

The 2 times I actually wore them, there were only short stretches of trail that I actually enjoyed them. As soon as we hit areas with just a little amount of new snow on them....it was slippen & a slidden.
Then, when it warms up, or you get them wet from a crossing etc.....they all get coated with ice balls, rendering them useless.

This is just MHO. I see plenty of people with them or other similar (don't shoot me) gimmicky traction devices on....including just about everyone I hike with....and if the shoe fits.....
I can't give them more than 1 out of 5 stars. sorry.
I'm pretty sure they are going back & I'll be switching back over to a lightweight crampon with anti botts, anti snows, whichever they want to call their brand, for those conditions. I'd rather carry the two pairs of crampons than something that's just a few ounces lighter & actually get some use out of them.

I've used Grivel Air Tech Lights in the past. Black Diamond has a new pr. NEVE?? even the lower end Camp has a green pair.....all with anti botts to keep the snow balling to a minimum.
You do have to be careful in the Whites, on when & how you use them. Not made for rock & hard ice. Regular Steel ones for that.

Shields Up:eek:

Shields Up:eek:

No flames from me (... or photon torpedoes ... or whatever the shields are for). I don't agree with you, but if I just wanted to hear an echo of my own opinions, I'd talk into a tape recorder.

Of all the things that have been mentioned on this thread, the two that sell me on microspikes are 1) they don't change the way I walk (which crampons do). I see lots of people having this debate (should I stop and put my crampons on or should I try to continue without them). Putting crampons on is a little hassle and then once they're on, they slow you down. At least I don't walk as fast with them on and if I do, I start slicing my gaitors on the calf of my opposite leg. Neither thing happens with microspikes.

Reason #2: Mixed terrain. Ever come to a bare patch of rock and have that internal debate over the hassle of taking the crampons off and then back on or dull the points? With microspikes, they go on, stay on and I just keep walking.

Hey Solitary,

Appreciate the response. I just figured that I'm in the minority here about traction devices and figured I'd get bombed for sure given how many use them.
I tend to speak up from time to time & later realize I've offended, or stirred up a hornets nest.
So...........shields down, if that works.

I agree, crampons are to be used carefully. I've got enough tears to agree. As are all the tools we use. The ones I'm referring to are NOT the razor sharp steel ones. These are aluminum alloy. Much more user friendly!

Another thing that I see to discourage crampon use, is the kind of crampons used by many are so complicated to put on that I'd probably second guess using them as well. I don't have a problem stopping to change up again to fit the next stretch of whatever we run into. I guess if you're in a hurry, stopping becomes a real........

Sometimes NOTHING works. The worst I ever saw was hitting Saddleback & The Horn late March a couple ago. One minute you were on rock back to solid ice, then to deep snow, postholing. There was absolutely NOTHING to do but bareboot it. MS weren't going to help either. The only thing that went on that day were crampons to get over some real solid hard ice. When it was more rock than ice, they came off. Files work just fine for touching them up after some rocky trips.

Just my opinion for conversation!

Reason #2: Mixed terrain. Ever come to a bare patch of rock and have that internal debate over the hassle of taking the crampons off and then back on or dull the points? With microspikes, they go on, stay on and I just keep walking.

I agree.

Case in point: Microspikes were perfect yesterday for heading up the mixed terrain of the Osgood Trail to Madison summit -- snow, boilerplate, some ice, and some rock. The Microspikes made for a quick, easy, safe ascent and descent.

Last edited:
I've had good luck this year with the Hillsound Trail Crampons. They nicely fill a void between Microspikes and full crampons. The half size points hold great but don't create a tripping hazard or require modifying your gait.

http://www.hillsound.com/

Before you buy at full price, search online and in stores for discounts. I bought a set from Hillsound for $59.00. Then I located these:

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/mil-spec-plus-crampons.aspx?a=602151

I bought a set of these for $17.97. They are identical to the Hillsound unit (obviously manufactured on the same line). The only difference is that the velcro strap does not say "Hillsound" on it.

TCD

I've had good luck this year with the Hillsound Trail Crampons. They nicely fill a void between Microspikes and full crampons. The half size points hold great but don't create a tripping hazard or require modifying your gait.

Before you buy at full price, search online and in stores for discounts. I bought a set from Hillsound for $59.00. Then I located these:

I bought a set of these for $17.97. They are identical to the Hillsound unit (obviously manufactured on the same line). The only difference is that the velcro strap does not say "Hillsound" on it.

TCD

Thank you...I was looking for your original post from a few months back (I think you posted about these, right?) to figure out who made the "Microspikes on steroids" that I had read about.

Thanks!

It should be noted that they are out of stock at sportsmanguide.com. They will be available in March.

Assuming that the quality of the metal spikes is the same, there is one other thing that bothers me, while the Hillsounds come in four different sizes, the Spec Plus Crampons seem to be a one size fits all. Who knows what size that is? I would be concerned about the fit. I take the xlarge. The price on the other hand is great. TCD, you said you purchased some, what size do you think the Spec Plus is sold in?

I should mention that I have the Hillsounds and have liked them. I have not yet had the opportunity to test them on steep ice so I can't yet speak for that aspect, but they definitely are more aggressive than microspikes.

By the way, I purchased my Hillsounds at Ragged Mountain north of Conway on route 302.

TCD

I can't remember for sure, but I believe I ordered the Hillsound in size large. The "Mil Spec" unit is the same size. I, too, noticed that the Mil Spec unit comes in only one size, and I wondered what that would be when I ordered it, but for the price, I couldn't go wrong.

I got my Hillsounds direct from Hilsound. They were willing to sell direct because there was no local retailer (adks).

TCD

By the way, I purchased my Hillsounds at Ragged Mountain north of Conway on route 302.

Ragged Mountain, which appears to be the only internet retailer for these, has only small size in stock. I sent an email to Kris at Hillsounds asking if there was a local distributor in my area (Berkshire County), or could I also buy them direct. His suggestion;

"I have spoken to Ragged Mountain this week and the rest of the sizes will be available within a day or two. I strongly suggest you to call Ragged Mountain to order the product as it takes time for them to update their website. Please contact me if you have any questions. Thank you!"

Best Regards,
--
Kris Choi
Hillsound Equipment Inc.
68 West Broadway
Vancouver, BC V5Y1P2
TEL: 604-876-2555
FAX: 604-876-2554
www.hillsound.com

Ragged Mountain, which appears to be the only internet retailer for these, has only small size in stock.

Dennis Mckinnon of Ragged Mountain Equipment confirmed to me that, as of today (Thursday), they have L and XL sizes of Hillsounds in stock (in addition to the S listed on their web site).

(I'm not sure about the M size, though...I can ask in a bit, if anyone is interested.)

i've found microspikes really useful this winter. they stretch right over the walking boot i'm stuck in and have allowed me to safely get outside to take care of my animals, shovel snow, etc. for that i'm loving them.....

bryan

TCD
The "Mil-specs" are currently out of stock until March 3rd.

We're sorry, this item (Product: Mil - Spec™ Plus Crampons (WX2-171895)) is not currently in stock. This backordered item will be delivered as soon as we get new stock in our warehouse. You will not be billed until the item is shipped.
This item is expected at Sportsman's Guide on March 3, 2010.

I placed an order and will post here when (and if) they are delivered. By the way, cheapest shipping was $8.

Last edited:
Yes, the supply at SportsmansGuide seems to come in irregularly. They were out of stock when I ordered them in November, but they came in promptly on 12/15 as they said they would.

I discovered SG last year. Most of what they sell is hunting and fishing oriented, and a lot of stuff is nonsense (my favorite being the camo toilet seat that mounts on your trailer hitch! :eek: :rolleyes:). But every now and then you find a killer deal like this, or a package of four 5-led headlamps for $28, or something like that. It bears checking every now and then.

TCD

Call me a gearhead but...

TCD

These things look so cool I just have to order a pair. They will join my little museum of past and present traction devices including: an old heavy pair of camp crampons with a Scottish harness, pairs of instep crampons, stabilicers and microspikes, Grivel step-in crampons, and Black Diamond walking crampons. The only thing I don't have is ... shudder ... Yak-trax.

The only thing I don't have is ... shudder ... Yak-trax.

They aren't THAT bad. I have a pair and they work fine for lowland walks on smooth trail. I originally bought them in a semi-emergency a couple of years ago because I was tired of falling on my arse while working outside at work and that was all the local stores had (I didn't want to wait 4-7 days for shipping). They tend to move around a bit when things get vertical, but they have worked fine on all but one trail on Mt. Wachusett.

That being said, for cheaper money those Mil-Spec spikes have it all over the YakTrax.

Rec'd the "Mil Spec's" last week(1 week early) and tried them out today. Not much ice in my area at the moment but fit well on my size 10 1/2 Salomon boots, and gave an excellent secure grip on hard pack and soft ice. Gave a firm step and tried hard to twist my foot and they held fast. We'll see how the reliability is over time.

Last edited: