Product Review: Kahtoola MICROspikes

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good to know

Tom Rankin said:
On ADKHPs, there is a discussion of how the Microspikes are holding up.

Has anyone else experienced failures in the field?

Thanks for that link Tom. If I'm reading right, only one of those posters had a problem. Mine are still going strong (I'm closing in on two dozen outings). Nice to know that Kahtoola is so good about customer service.

A good report and I agree pretty much with what was said. But, I'll tell you why I still use Stableicers. I'm working with a young dog who is still on a leash and who tends from time to time to get under foot. For that reason I have determined to leave my crampons home this year. My aluminum frame snowshoes have been OK. At times I've wanted some other type of traction so Stableicers have been the item.

Maybe next year I'll get the microspikes. But this year I have managed with Stableicers and my hiking partner has his paws intact.

Used MS five hikes in a row and love them, despite turning back once on low angle solid ice. In that situation, they are dangerous (or is it the hiker?).

Have to plant your foot differently

Grayjay said:
Used MS five hikes in a row and love them, despite turning back once on low angle solid ice. In that situation, they are dangerous (or is it the hiker?).

Well I don't think it's the hiker :) but I did have to learn how to plant my foot differently with MS on: can't edge, the whole sole has to hit the ice.

By the way... my first post on VFTT :)

- Linda

Been shown 3 product failures due to heavy wear so far:

2 different users had a metal ring pull through (split) rubber on fronts.

One of same user had metal spike plate crack and split.

Both had used MS on over 20 hikes and are strong fast hikers. Both still love 'em regardless.

Andrew said:
Been shown 3 product failures due to heavy wear so far:

2 different users had a metal ring pull through (split) rubber on fronts.

One of same user had metal spike plate crack and split.

Both had used MS on over 20 hikes and are strong fast hikers. Both still love 'em regardless.

I'm not sure how to interpret this without some context. 3 out of how many? Are you a retailer? Manufacturer? User? Fan?

Tim

I've used mine about 5 times since I got them and they work great. However, after the second time using them I noticed one of the bars with loops on either end had become unconnected from the chain - I must have stepped too hard on bare rock - and I had to re-attach and re-close the loop with some pliers. Other than that they've been fine. I've raved about them so much on some other sites that I've been accused of being a Kahtoola salesman.

As for long-term durability, my feeling is that even if I had to buy a new pair every couple of years, I would still love them. The Stabilicers were good for a while, but very bulky in the pack, and I didn't like the way they would shift at just the wrong moment - perfect for turning an ankle.

I’m not ready to retire my Stabilicers yet. I’ve gotten several years out of them and until this year didn’t lose any screws (only slightly tightened them occasionally). The webbing is in good condition. I use them often. This year I bought a bag of replacement screws to have some sharper edges on the screws. Since replacing them I have had a couple come out but it never affected traction.

From posts online and from comments from others in person I’m losing interest in the MicroSpikes a little bit. I’ve heard of part failure, balling of snow, and edge gripping not good.

I’ve never had snow balling on the Stabilicers, the grip has been plenty good for me until crampons are necessary, it’s easy to replace a few screws, they don’t slide around on my feet nor come off even though I do a lot of trail running. And most importantly I can ski down the trail in them – woo hoooo :D

RLC said:
The Stabilicers were good for a while, ... and I didn't like the way they would shift at just the wrong moment - perfect for turning an ankle.
This is very interesting. I weigh 180 and I wear them a lot. I never had this issue. My wife (who weighs a lot less) does have issues with them shifting.

Also, are we talking about going up or down hill, or both?

Like any item sold in S, M, L and XL, there isn't a precise fit for everyone. I have a 12.5 shoe size. A European 47 is the closest to a perfect fit. Cycling shoes are sold in European sizes, for example. Try finding a 12.5 shoe in the US... :rolleyes:

I have both the shifting around (minor) and the cutting of the straps (less minor) on rocks after only 2 uses (Galehead->Garfield, Owl's Head Slide, both last November). In my experience, Velcro only lasts "so long", especially if it is not Velcro (the brand name.) Alas when the patent on Velcro ran out some years back, the generic onslaught of hook-and-loop fasteners brought quality standards to a new low :(. Even real Velcro is not ideal in snowy or muddy/sandy conditions.

Tim

Your comment about shoe size is interesting. We must have almost the same size foot. My winter boots are 13 and my three season are 12. I have to have the extra large Stableicer for the winter boot. For my three season boots, if I use the extra large they flop around. I have an old pair of 'large' that I can use with them. The Stableicers are sometimes necessary in the spring when the trails are dry down below, but ici up high.

The velcro on the older pair no longer holds in the instep area. I drilled some holes through the straps and prewired the front part to size. Fortunately the ankle straps still hold fairly well.

The straps on the newer larger pair still work quite well, though granted if you get snow on the Velcro pad forget it. Under those conditions they just won't hold.

While an in between size of shoe may make the choice of the Stableicer size more difficult, it is still wise to look for a snug fit. When the sole of the shoe matches very closely the sole of the Stableicer, I don't think you will get much shifting.

I wear a size 10 hiking boot and I think the problem I would have sometimes with the Stabilicers is that I wouldn't always spend enough time trying to get them on real tight by adjusting the velcro straps tightly. So, what would happen is that they eventually shift slightly so that there was no rubber under one side of my foot, and this would be uncomfortable and also sometimes would cause me to twist my ankle. I think if I just spent more time getting them on tight, they wouldn't shift. But that's one of the things I like about the Microspikes, you don't have to spend much time getting them on your boots and for me they stay on tightly and don't move around.

I'm not here to knock Stabilicers; if they work for some people that's great, and I can't see any reason to buy Microspikes if you're happy with Stabilicers. I'm just saying that the Microspikes work better for me. I now use the Stabilicers when I'm clearing my driveway and walkway, after a nasty hand-crushing slip-and-fall in December.

He's none of the above

bikehikeskifish said:
I'm not sure how to interpret this without some context. 3 out of how many? Are you a retailer? Manufacturer? User? Fan?

Tim

Dear Tim,

Since Andrew hasn't responded, I don't know if he wants to reveal his "secret identity" so I'm certainly not going to do it. I will say, however, that he is not a retailer or a manufacturer, but he is an extremely knowlegeable "outdoors person" who sees A LOT of hikers.

- Monadnock Volunteer (aka Steve)

bikehikeskifish said:

Tim
Sorry about the delay. I'm the chief toilet cleaner at Monadnock SP and have constant contact with a heavy volume of hikers throughout the winter. So far I've had repeated contact with at least 30 hikers who hike the mountain on a regular basis since purchasing MS this winter. Everyone has been very positive about the product, with the general performance right along Steve's review that started this thread.

Of the 3 failures I pointed out, actually 2 of them were from one person (2 different occasions). I would more appropriately attribute at least 40 hikes to this one gentleman if not even more (he usually hikes Monadnock 4 times each visit)! He used wire to repair them and still using them. We all anticipated the rubber splitting as I described in my previous post, as this seemed like the most likely point of failure. Regardless; this particular hiker said he would buy them again when he wears this pair out (he used to favor Stabilicers).

PS- SJC You missed your NH Moose at HQ today. A cow was blocking the road standing next to the tollbooth this morning. A hiker had to sit for a few moments until it decided to let him through. I don't think it collected the entry fee.

Original pair finally broke

So on my slog jog around Goose Pond (Keene, NH) today, my microspikes finally broke. Two of the stainless steel chain links separated. They were two years old and had lots of miles on them. I just sent an email to Kahtoola and we'll see what happens.

Last edited:
I have noticed I need to pay attention as I put them on. If not sometimes the chains are twisted and the points are not where they should be. It seems this could lead to an early demise. So far they are going strong.