Product Review: Kahtoola MICROspikes

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've got 8-10 miles on the Mil Specs (mostly ice climbing approaches; no long hikes), and I broke a chain link on one of them. They were still perfectly functional with one broken link. At home, I fabricated a new link with coat hanger wire. We'll see how that holds up, but I've had pretty good luck with coat hanger wire repairs in the past.

Crampon season might be over soon in the Daks, with big fat wet snow and now a thaw coming...

I've got 8-10 miles on the Mil Specs (mostly ice climbing approaches; no long hikes), and I broke a chain link on one of them. They were still perfectly functional with one broken link. At home, I fabricated a new link with coat hanger wire. We'll see how that holds up, but I've had pretty good luck with coat hanger wire repairs in the past.

Crampon season might be over soon in the Daks, with big fat wet snow and now a thaw coming...

One thing that Kahtoola is very good at is standing behind their product. I wonder if the manufacturers of Mil Specs are as good. Did you try contacting the retailer?

I didn't try to contact anyone; it wasn't worth the time. Plus, I like fixing things... :)

Mil-spec

I've had good luck this year with the Hillsound Trail Crampons. They nicely fill a void between Microspikes and full crampons. The half size points hold great but don't create a tripping hazard or require modifying your gait.

http://www.hillsound.com/

Before you buy at full price, search online and in stores for discounts. I bought a set from Hillsound for $59.00. Then I located these:

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/mil-spec-plus-crampons.aspx?a=602151

I bought a set of these for $17.97. They are identical to the Hillsound unit (obviously manufactured on the same line). The only difference is that the velcro strap does not say "Hillsound" on it.

TCD

Got a pair of these and tried them on Sunday for about 1/4 mile over consolidated snow and ice and a couple patches of soft (thawed) ground.

Good: spikes bigger than Microspikes and a nice large gripping pattern on the bottom of the boot made for a secure feeling. The strap across the top helped hold the "tread pattern" in place for sideways control.

Bad: Links not welded and two opened up (but did not come apart yet). One end attach point was not closed enough and the chain came off the spike plate. Not deadly, but disappointing.

Overall: for 1/4 the price of Microspikes, I'll fix the links and keep using them. For the next hike, the Microspikes will still be in the pack though.