New boots

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keith Z

Reaction score
OK, I'm impulsive, and this is after the fact. I did some research into boots, but rather than ask you guys for more advice, I went ahead and boot a pair of Asolo TPS 520 GTX boots at EMS the other day. Actually, I went in expecting to buy EMS summits or Montrail Torres, but these felt sooo good on my feet, also on sale from $210 to $179. (I later saw them on sale online at the Sierra Trading Post sight for $84, but, phew, not in my size.) So, I'd be interested in anybody's opinion of them. I've only wore them around the house and on one relatively flat 5 miler. BTW, I wear a size 8 in every shoe and boot for the last, ahem, many years, but ended up with an 8 1/2 in the Asolos, so if anybody is looking to buy online, keep that in mind.

Thanks for your opinions,

Keith

I have a pair of Asolo fusion. They are comfy boots and have great tracion on wet rocks but the only problem I found with my Asolo Fusion is there soles tend to wear out quick, due to the softness. I also heard this as well about the other models. I wore out the front soles in less than a year, I also hike 3-4 times a week and put in a lot of miles on rocky trails. This was just my experice with Asolos and would probly never buy again. Dont forget everyones foot structer is different as well. That makes a big difference.

So far the best boot I have is the Danner Light Hikers.

Last edited:
i always preface this by saying that i am not in the employ of the limmer family, but i think they are the best (as always, if indeed they fit your feet) in that they are easily resolable. other boots seem to be disposable as evidenced by the fact that people seem to buy so many. if they fit your feet, limmers are by far the best.

(i also had some asolos and while they felt all right, they wore out quickly).

Keith Z said:
...I went ahead and boot a pair of Asolo TPS 520 GTX boots at EMS the other day...I'd be interested in anybody's opinion of them....
I bought a pair recently, and after almost no break-in I wore them on a 13.4 mile hike over two peaks in very wet conditions. My feet stayed warm & dry, and not a blister or even a hot spot. I couldn't have asked for, or expected anything better.
I also have an older pair of light weight Asolo boots, and I love them also.
As always, YMMV

FOr those interested in New Balance (many thru hikers wear NB 804's, 805's and 806's) shoes, They bought out Dunham Boots and now make a variety of boots for wide feet (up to 4E)
also, very positive note, New Balance is a large employer in New England

As always YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary)
:p