Catskill Photos by Hermit

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Edelweiss

Reaction score
Peak_bagr asked me to post these 2 photos by Hermit. The first was shot on Overlook Mt. and the second at the Ashokan Reservoir where a nesting eagle pair provide fascinating observations (and photo ops) for humans. They don't seem to mind the mostly quiet and respectful humans who watch their antics. Please move this if it doesn't belong on this forum.

Those are real nice! I've seen some eagles by the fish hatcheries as well...couldn't tell you where, somewhere in the Cats.

When were they taken? Headin' to the Catskills this week...just wondering what the snow conditions are like if you wouldn't mind a quick sidebar.

Judging by the tall white pines, I'd guess that the eagle shot was taken from the walkway/causeway/whatever it's called. You can access this from the parking lot off of 28A, south of the reservoir. Sometimes after a hike I drive home that way and stop to walk a little way out and admire the reservoir. I believe all the Catskill reservoirs are good spots to see eagles, although I've only once seen one near the Rondout Reservoir.

As you will see from the trip reports, crampons have been getting some usage in the Catskills.

Matt

"Judging by the tall white pines, I'd guess that the eagle shot was taken from the walkway/causeway/whatever it's called."

We also visited the Ashokan Reservoir causeway a couple of weeks ago. This first shot was also taken on the causeway, but the day we went I wasn't able to get a close-up shot of the eagles as Hermit did. If you look towards the island, you will see an eagle sitting to the right of a large boulder.

Last edited:
I took the picture of the Eagle this past Sunday after we returned from the Adirondacks from a ski trip.I did not have time to focus. The Overlook pic. was taken on 2-2-08 the day that there was a rescue of some people that could not make it down the jeep road. It was very icy,I saw the group ascending while I was making my way back from hiking Overlook,Echo Lake and Plattekill .The picture on Overlook was taken at sunrise,I started the hike in the dark.