Harvard Cabin Trip - April 16-18

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Kittredge

Reaction score
Fri-Sun Apr 16-18. Slop Season Harvard Cabin (B3B).
Intermediate hikes from rustic Pinkham Notch Cabin.
Expect a medley of rotting snow, mud and high water.
What fun! Snowshoes and waterproof boots req'd. Meals
and lodging $40/$45 memb/nonmemb. Reg. with CL Paul
Gross(508-480-0277 6-10PM or
[email protected]). Ls Florrie Johnson, Keith
Moore, Bob Kittredge (617-965-4254).

This is being run by the Boston AMC chapter. We haven't had many people respond yet, so I've come here in search of warm bodies.

This is the Harvard Cabin on Route 16 south of Pinkham Notch, not the Harvard High Cabin up in Huntingon Ravine. The fee gets you two nights lodging and a couple of meals plus the opportunity to hike with a bunch of friendly people. For Sat. hikes we're looking at Madison, Ike and/or Carter Dome (i.e. 8 to 10 miles). For Sun. hikes we're considering Imp Face, Tuckerman's Ravine and/or Kearsarge North.

If you're interested, get in touch with Paul for details.
Whoops! Check that. Paul's going to be out of town till Wednesday. Contact me at [email protected]

Last edited:

Saturday
Great day! Mostly sunny, temps in the 50s, winds not a problem. We headed up th Air Line toward Madison. Just above treeline we stopped to have lunch and observed three back-country skiers working their way down (Great?) Gully in King Ravine.

We tried to take the Airline Cutoff over to the hut. Soon lost the trail, and our endeavor turned into a post-holing, spruce-trapping, bush-whacking fiasco. Finally made it to the hut and decided we didn't really have time to summit. Down via Valley Way.

Sunday
Another sunny day. Florrie and I, never having seen the skiing in Tuck's, headed up to Lunch Rocks. The trail up from Pinkham was a mix of mud, ice, hardpack, softpack, slush and running water. For all the hordes of skiers and boarders we saw on the trail and climbing the bowl, it was surprising how little skiing we actually saw. Saw some telemark skiing for the first time. We sat on the rocks with a small group of men and women in their 60s or 70s who were critiqueing the skiing, ogling the young men, and recalling their own exploits in years gone by. It was a gas.

I skated back down the trail to Pinkham in record (for me) time.

The rest of our group headed for Kearsarge. Haven't heard yet how they did.

Last edited:
Sounds like the Mtn we all know! Thanks for posting the opportunity to join and follow-up. Good to know fun things are happening even when we can't be there ourselves. Hope the Harvard Cabin is up to it's fine self as well.