late-season skiing

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Explorer Editor

Reaction score
Looking to do a final ski in the Lake Placid region. Can anyone fill me in on the current snow conditions on the Whiteface Highway, Marcy Trail, Avalanche Pass Trail or Wright Ski Trail?

Thanks.

phil,

i was there to splitboard 3 weeks ago, so given the time elapsed, conditions could be much different, but here's what i found:

trails from adk loj were heavily melted out and unskiable in many sections to marcy dam. i skinned most of the way, but much of it was thru dirt, rock and exposed roots.

the trail from marcy dam to avalanche pass was still OK then-very slick and skiied out but still a decent base, few rocks/roots exposed. the avalanche pass ski trails were about the same, but we has rain that weekend and the snow was very heavy. we planned to do the colden slides, but optioned out due to wet slide danger. beware, there may be alot of running water across the trails at drainage areas.

i did not access the WP ski trail...so can't comment on conditions there per se, however, unless more snow has fallen in the last few weeks, i'd think you're looking at some pretty shallow and exposed conditions.

hope this helps somewhat if you don't get an updated report.

phil,

just curious...did you manage a bc trip in the adks over the weekend? if so how were the conditions? are the slides still holding any snow (northern aspects?)

thanks

I went up the whiteface highway. There would have been plenty of snow, but ORDA apparently has been plowing the road for a few weeks. I was still able to ski by sticking to the sides, but it wasn't great fun. I had to cross the bare pavement several times to take advantage of the best conditions. At the very top the road had not been plowed.

You can still see snow on slides and the summits of Marcy, Algonquin and other High Peaks. I understand that you can still ski at higher elevations, but who knows for how long.