The Beckoning Silence-The Movie

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattC

Reaction score
Ulster County, NY Avatar: Chapel Pond From Giant M
I read and enjoyed this Joe Simpson book, and just heard that it was made into a film, apparently for UK television, where it was shown last year. Does anyone know if it's been released in theatres here in the states? DVD? Anyone seen it?

Matt

First I've heard of it, but the book looks interesting. I read Touching the Void a bit before the movie ever came out and enjoyed it but I haven't read his other acclaimed books...

I have The White Spider by Heinrich about the north face of the Eiger on my library queue but my library system right now...

Jay

I've read the beaconing silence. My recommendation is that if you like para-gliding or high-stakes alpinism, you probably should skip it. It is an interesting look into a retired mountaineers views on life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness though.

As for the movie, I'd love to see it. I hope it was done in the same docu-drama format as Touching the Void.

-chris

Jay H said:
First I've heard of it, but the book looks interesting. I read Touching the Void a bit before the movie ever came out and enjoyed it but I haven't read his other acclaimed books...

It's a good read, Jay. It's about him struggling with giving up his mountaineering career, and includes the stories of some of his last exploits. He and his friend make up a short list of climbs they want to try before calling it a day and then proceed. "This Game of Ghosts" is another good read, dealing with his life both before and after Peru.

Matt

I read all his stuff - I don't recall what happened in what book though. I think anything to do with joe would be decent. If I recall, he was approached to do touching the void from hollywood and pretty much told them to F off (and it memory serves me, he did let them wine and dine him first) - and then he went with whoever (BBC maybe??) to it in the docu-drama format. That is most def, one of the better mountaineering movies I have ever seen.

anyone ever see into thin air that was made for TV???- really really bad stuff... K2 - bad, vertical limit - that was bad too - but at least it was entertaining.

Plus, unless you have an unlocked DVD player, the UK is region 2 and the US is region 1 so a normal DVD player wont play it...

I might try to get the book from my library system...

Jay

giggy said:
I read all his stuff - I don't recall what happened in what book though.

"Touching the Void" is the one where he breaks his leg. ;)

Seriously, though, I know what you mean-a while after you've read his stuff it can kind of blend together. He seems to basically have written his autobiography in several volumes. Kinda like Charles Bukowski, except Bukowski was a drunken poet instead of a mountaineer.

Matt

mcorsar said:
"Touching the Void" is the one where he breaks his leg. ;)

Actually he broke his right leg on Siula Grande (Touching the Void) and his left leg on Pachermo (This Game of Ghosts). He has had several near death experiences while climbing which is one reason why he was giving up the game. I too have read all his books and he was nice enough to sign all five of my copies when I met him at REI in Boston when he was promoting the film Touching The Void. A very personable guy who took his time talking with everyone whose books he signed.

JohnL

Beckoning Silence" is now on Amazon Prime. Amazing job by "actors" recreating a 1936 tragedy on the North Face of the Eiger. Opening veiws were similar to what I had from a hotel I was in high across the valley to the north.