“Adirondack Loj Road may require toll”

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlackSpruce

Reaction score
That was the title of two articles this past weekend in the Lake placid News and the Press Republican. Both papers reported that Roby Politi, Supervisor of the Town of North Elba (Lake Placid), is considering the toll option to cover the construction of the new bridge estimated between $600,000 and $1.2 million. The supervisor pointed out that “there are only 8 property owners on the other side of the bridge and most of the people who use the bridge are primarily non-residents using the area for recreational purposes. It’s a huge cost and frankly, at this stage my first thought is to call Senator Little to see if grant money is available.”

In other news the Keene Valley NoonMark Dinner is presently for sale at $925,000 the equivalent of a new bridge…

I read the article; after more than a year of waiting, Essex County wants their temporary bridge back. It sounds like North Elba hasn't done much in the past year to address the need to build a new bridge. Regardless of whether a toll is imposed there, the town still needs to get a replacement built. Maybe the state will take over the Loj Road as part of the project to build a new visitor services center - just add the cost onto the Thruway tolls....

Re: the Noonmark; is there anyplace for a hungry hiker in Keene/Keene Valley to go that serves better than just average food? The AuSable Inn has great burgers, but I can't go there for breakfast (can I?).

Last edited:
BlackSpruce said:
That was the title of two articles this past weekend in the Lake placid News and the Press Republican. Both papers reported that Roby Politi, Supervisor of the Town of North Elba (Lake Placid), is considering the toll option to cover the construction of the new bridge estimated between $600,000 and $1.2 million. The supervisor pointed out that “there are only 8 property owners on the other side of the bridge and most of the people who use the bridge are primarily non-residents using the area for recreational purposes. It’s a huge cost and frankly, at this stage my first thought is to call Senator Little to see if grant money is available.”

In other news the Keene Valley NoonMark Dinner is presently for sale at $925,000 the equivalent of a new bridge…
Let's keep the diner and ditch the toll! :eek:

Seriously, a toll is a stupid idea! Is it well known that even though the ADK Loj does not have to pay taxes, they do anyway? I'll bet the toll might make them change their mind! And let's ask Mr. Politi if he wants all his tourist $$$$$$$$$$ to go down the road to Saranac Lake or Keene (Valley)?

A grant makes more sense, because it is truly a 'state' road, or even an 'international' road.

A toll road has about zero chance of happening. Can't imagine NYS allowing this with the proposed new changes around the Loj and South Meadows.
IMHO, this is just an attention getter on the part of the town of North Elba.

A fuel truck collapsed a small town bridge near where I used to live. A call by the local politicians and US Representative led to a National Guard Bailey bridge in place in one month. That Bailey bridge sat there for years while plans for the new bridge and funding were put in place.

The handfull of private properties past the bridge in question pay enough yearly taxes to reimburse the cost of the bridge within a few short years!

Charging people to drive the Loj road would be akin to shooting oneself in the foot.
I would think that the towns of Keene and Keene Valley would very much like to see that happen.

It might even drive up the value of the Noonmark Diner. (The only positive thing about that place is its name.)

ALGonquin Bob said:
Re: the Noonmark; is there anyplace for a hungry hiker in Keene/Keene Valley to go that serves better than just average food? The AuSable Inn has great burgers, but I can't go there for breakfast (can I?).

Try the Great Range Cafe, in the old Cliffhanger building. I was there over the summer on their opening day. Great selection of very tasty sandwiches. A younger girl and her husband are the owners, very friendly. Not sure about breakfast, last I heard I think they were offering it.

The Lake Placid Diner has awesome breakfast (and food in general) but I am not sure how early they open.

I used to like the Noonmark before they changed hands...I had several disappointing experiences there this summer under their current management...incorrect orders, padded bills, and slower than molasses service.

Charging a toll on the Loj Rd??? Hmmm...not sure how I feel about that.

Hasn't the Noonmark been for sale for quite a while now? Like more than a year?

I don’t think we’ve stayed at the AuSable Inn this millennium, but you could get a good breakfast there if you were a guest. I’m not sure about walk-ins, but the dining room usually seemed pretty busy to me. Busier than the number of rooms upstairs would suggest.

they already have a toll, $9 parking! :p

What Keene valleys needs is a Mcdonalds. Seriously, great coffee and a drive through window.

Maybe they could move the "unused" McDonalds in Old forge. :D

Let's face it, if they charged a toll (tax), we'd all pay it, and complain about it the whole time. Considering Dunkin' Donuts whacks me for $3 bucks for cup a Joe in the morning, I suppose I could live with a bridge toll :rolleyes:

Adk_dib said:
they already have a toll, $9 parking! :p

What Keene valleys needs is a Mcdonalds. Seriously, great coffee and a drive through window.

Maybe they could move the "unused" McDonalds in Old forge. :D

Good point. My question is do they continue to charge for parking if they have a toll bridge? My God I would hope not! It seems to me the $9.00 parking fee should provide them with some pretty decent revenue.

As for places to eat in that area, I had a good breakfast every morning at the HOJO's when I stayed in Lake Placid last fall.

The Loj road is public and the Adirondack Mt Club has nothing to do with it or any potential toll. Besides receiving Adirondac magazine and supporting all the advocacy things ADK does, joining ADK gets you a way cheap parking fee. ;)

The parking fee is for use of the Adirondack Mountain Club's property, where the trailhead is located and some hiker services are provided. The proposed toll is something the town dreamed up, and if applied, could possibly be imposed upon the public via the ADK, and collected in the form of a somewhat higher parking and/or camping fee. If the DEC does indeed build a new facility on the Loj road, the proposed town bridge toll may be incorporated into whatever parking/camping fee they charge there.

OR... maybe this is all just talk, and there will be no toll!

Last edited: