RI Hill bagging?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike P.

Reaction score
Heading to RI next week for business & driving near three places that on a map look interesting. Mt. Tom, (near 165) Dye (Hill near 138) and Hammitt Hill near Route 102.

Anyone familar with hiking in RI? Are these open to the public? any view at all?

If not here, where in westersn RI in general area of Route 165 or Route 138 near 95

RI peaks

Check out this web site- America's Roof. They have all the skinny on the US high points.

Woodstrider's link didn't work -- it's

highpointers link

However, access to the RI highpoint is only allowed a few times a year. They usually try to have it aroudn holiday weekends -- like the fourth of july or columbus day. It's not really much of a hike though.

You might want to look for information on the North-South Trail, which runs across the western edge of RI. I think it's about 75 miles long and can be broken up into day trips.

- Ivy

Last edited:
Hey Mike,
Long time no see. I live in this area and maintain a bunch of local trails, especially around Mt. Tom. PM or email me with any questions you may have and I'd like to come along if I'm available.

Swamp(Yankee)

RI Hill bagging

RI hikes are great 'getting-in-shape hikes' before you can hike in the Whites. Mt. Tom has great views from the ledges & overlooks. Hard to believe you're in RI. Hope you enjoy!

Escoheag Hill might have some pleasant views. There was a fire tower there years ago but I don't know if it is still accessible. You can get there via a trail that starts on the RI side of Beach Pond on rt. 165 and is a nice walk through mountain laurel and picturesque ledges along the pond. While you're there, say hi to some of my high school memories.

Mount Misery in Pachaug State Forest has good views but is not a very long hike. A walk there can be combined with a walk through a rhododendrum sanctuary but I'd hold that until they blossom and the water levels recede.

For anyone interested in hiking in RI there's a great book by Ken Weber called "Walks and Rambles in Rhode Island". It gives details on 40 trails and gives directions to trailheads. A couple of my favorites are "Long Pond-Ell Pond" and "Narragansett Trail". Good luck, Bruin

There aren't too many peaks to bag in RI.

Arcadia management area off of Rte 165 offers some nice hikes, an eight loop north off of 165 at Beach Pond is very pleasant.

Mt Tom is wooded and you can easily miss it. An area south of 165 on the Mt Tom Trail has some open ledges with nice views.

There are a number of loop options thru Arcadia, a trail map can be picked up at some trailheads or at this site,( there are several maps of Arcadia on the web site)

http://zog.doa.state.ri.us/wmajpg/

There is also a new commercial map of Arcadia.

As mentioned above, Long and El Ponds (State of RI, Audubon Soc. and Nature Conservancy) is a very nice place to hike. A must. A nice 5 mile loop. with other chances for side trips.

Also, the Ken Weber books mentioned by Bruin are great resources, Ken Weber's books are great, not only as guides but to read.

John

PS: Any of you folks doing the trek this year?