X-Country Ski loops in the Adirondacks

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

youngblood

Reaction score
We're heading over to the Daks next week and were wondering if anyone has any "must see" ski loops, preferably in the High Peaks Region? The plan is to car camp the first night, then spend 2 nights out in a shelter. Ideally, use the shelter as a base camp and do loops from that shelter carrying just a day pack. We're looking at covering 15-25 miles each day. We've done some skiing, however we don't exactly "rip" it up yet. We're NOT looking at skinning up 4000 footers and teleing down!!!! Rolling terrain with views is the plan.... We understand Avalanche Pass is a must see. Any suggestions on car camping spots, shelters to stay at, and loops to do would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!!!!! THANKS IN ADVANCE... Oh, any ideas on how the snow conditions are right now?

Youngblood

This site will help as far as keeping an eye on conditions. Avalanche Pass is tough to do as a loop unless you go up into higher Tele terrain. Although an out and back from the South(Upper Works) or from the North(ADK Loj) is still a nice tour. Marcy Dam is a great place to Base Camp from for this tour.

Skiguy's info is good. You could make a big loop to include Loj to Avalanche pass, then to Flowed lands and the Upper Work trailhead, then North through Indian Pass to the Loj. I have skied it all except for a short section at Indian Pass itself which i can say is fairly steep on the south side. I know someone who said they did it but in the opposite direction (counterclockwise). I'd do Indian Pass first as there are far fewer people there and if you have to turn around, you won't have to backtrack as much.

This is definitely a long day and at least intermediate level. I'd do it with a few experienced folks with an early start, longer daylight (not Dec/Jan) and a good weather forecast.

Other options in the high peaks area includes the Klondike trail between Johns Brook Lodge and South Meadow road trailhead. I believe there is a leanto along the way. There is no loop potential with this however.

The area around Pharaoh Lake has good loop potential and numerous leantos. Snow is less than the high peaks area. Siamese Ponds area also has lots of skiing potential. Trails in these areas are generally suitable for skiing by intermediate skiers.

:D the ski trails at Drew's are awesome...and the car camping is nice too..sleep in a nice warm sauna...with hot shower and hot dinner too...

drewski said:
:D the ski trails at Drew's are awesome...and the car camping is nice too..sleep in a nice warm sauna...with hot shower and hot dinner too...

So how does one make a reservation for this legacy? I would not want to get to serious but I would contend that you might want to trade some hospiltality for some Skiing or Brewskiing.

Thanks for the Beta Skiguy and Bob K. Drewski-Did the -40 degree bag come in yet or what?
Does anyone know if the Northville Placid Trail gets packed out and if so, how would that be for skiing?? It looks like one could ski from RT. 28N to Averyville Rd with some camping options along the way. And how about that Jackrabbit Trail? From small descriptions here and there - that trail appears to be a good one! If we were to do the Jackrabbit and/or Northville Placid trail are there any places that offer shuttleing services? Besides Adirondack Loj and Camp Peggy O'Brien, any others places to stay that offer a bit more heat than the 3 sides shelters. We've done some research but haven't come up with much info. Thanks a lot

Youngblood

Just got back from some skiing in the Newcomb area, not necessarily where you're planning on going, but conditions should be similar.

Most trails are hard packed from last Monday's warmup and freeze. Not a significant amount of new snow has fallen since then. Indian Pass trail is OK, some hard icy sections and some other sections that have a few inches of powder. Vanderwhacker trail, which is mostly in the woods, was a little better with a little more powder than the Indian Pass trail -- the downs were pretty fast still. Snow on Henderson Lake was good, trail to Preston Ponds was hard and rough.

We didn't check out the N-P trail, but I would say if more snow arrives it will be good, otherwise rather rough.

We stayed at Aunt Polly's B&B in Newcomb -- they have a house next door that they rent at a reasonable rate. The house isn't great, but it's sufficient. They might shuttle for a fee if you're staying there...

There is some weather that is supposed to arrive on Tuesday, with another 3-6" the conditions will be awesome. Hope for snow !!!

Last edited:
just to let you know, myself and two other guys did the N-P trail from wakely dam to Piseco lake... We did the trip from 02-21 - 02-24... it took us three long days and two nights... roughly 40 miles

the conditions were perfect with a great hard base of 4-7 feet (yes for real) and with a nice dusting of 12 inches of powder..

I would think that things have changed since this last storm...

this was such an awesome trip, we were in total solitude the entire time.. the last people to write in the journals was last november

happy hiking