XC skiing options in forest off Rt. 9 east of Prospect Mt., Bennington, VT

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobK

Reaction score
I’m looking for information about possible XC skiing in the woods east of Prospect Mtn. I’ve driven from the Albany area to ski at Prospect several times but would like to explore a bit. I’m looking for information specifically about trails (difficulty for skiing) and where to park. I’ve seen a sign on the N side of the rd. perhaps 4 miles east of Prospect Mtn. and wondered it that was a good area. I’d like to get a map of the area including anything that would show the trails. Of course, local knowledge is the best.

I’m assuming there would be nothing groomed or tracked (unless by skiers) and would like to know if I would encounter snowmobiles. I don’t mind them if not too numerous. I am an experiences backcountry skier in the Adirondacks and could bring either touring or heavy duty (and wider) skis. Thanks for any replies.

Skiing in the Woodford Vt. Area

I know the area pretty well. You have many options for skiing both north and south of Rte. 9, which is the highway that runs past Prospect between Bennington and Brattleboro.

For maps and info you have a couple of options. One is to download the pdf map from the GMNF for their southern district here is the link

It's a bit small scale and some of the trails shown have ceased to exist. Another option is the snowmobile map offered by the Woodford Snobusters snowmobile club. I would definitely recommend that option. It's available at the "Woodford Mall" which is a general store/restaurant/snowmobile stop on Rte. 9 about two miles east of Prospect. I think the general store across the road from Prospect also sells it. (Tift's I think is the name.)

The snowmobile trails bissecting the forest in that area are tremendously extensive. You can go for miles and miles following them using either classical or skating technique. If you don't like sharing the trails with snowmobiles the state park (gated entrance on right, one mile east of Prospect) is an option. It is used by snowshoers and skiers alike and in the current crusty conditions could be kinda nasty. Parking on the highway is a bit problematic too.

If I could make one suggestion for an introductory ski tour in the Woodford area it would be to ski out to Little Pond and back which is about a four or five mile round trip. Park at the Little Pond parking area which is about 3/4 mile past Prospect on the left as you go around a right hand bend in the road. There is an even bigger parking area a short way up on the left which is has a name with the word "pine" in it I think. You don't want that one. It is much more heavily used by the snow machines.

If you have the Snobusters map, finding your way to Little Pond should be no problem. If you're using a topo or the GMNF map just follow the snowmobile trail north from the parking lot, avoiding any intersecting trails until you get to a group of boulders on the left side of a right hand turn which soon heads downhill.

Leave the main snowmobile trail there and head between the boulders (going north) and follow this trail (could be tracked by the snowmobiles but often isn't) down to the shore of the pond about .2 mi away.

That's only one possible suggestion. Depending upon your ambition you can access the LT from the Little Pond trail and ski the LT all the way to Glastenbury summit. You can follow snowmobile trails that take you to Glastenbury as well (all marked on the Snobusters map). The George Aiken Wilderness is further along Rt. 9 and the access to that heads south. You can buy a trail pass at Prospect and also ski into the G.A.W. from their trail system. Ask at the desk for suggestions. Checking the Prospect website can also give you an idea of what to expect for ski conditions.

The Snobusters have a website that will tell you their current trail conditions. Here's that link

I know some folks who post to this forum have issues with snowmobilers. I've found peaceful cooexistance to be the best path. There is enough space in that area for everyone to share.

Last edited:
Good suggestions, but just to add a few more:

First, there are some backcountry options at Prospect itself. Just skin up and use the old alpine slopes there. And there are some also some backcountry trails going off the groomed Prospect trail system.

Second: The Catamount Trail crosses Route 9 at the bottom of Searsburg Mountain. It follows the old railroad bed for most of the way from Readsboro to Route 9. Maps and details are on the CTA website