Go Lite Packs

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sapblatt

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone is using Go Lite packs? Me (and Tuco) have been looking at the Odyssey pack and it looks good, and of course, I am in love with the low empty weight of it. I have heard numerous opinions regarding the owner of the company, but I am more curious as to how the pack holds up in the real world? How is the waterproofing capability that is claimed? I have had one experience with an ultralight pack and after fewer than 20 hikes I have ditched it...it could not take the abrasion and I had quickly performed a half dozen patch jobs. SImply putting the bag down on a summit and picking it up when I left was enough to cause these issues.

Any info is appreciated - thanks.

Two friends used Go Lite packs on our weeklong hike through the Smokies last March - had no problems and one of them used a Go Lite Odyssey for the north half of his AT hike. He chucked it in the garbage afterwards for several reasons - it was pretty worn out, had a bad case of thruhiker funk and he wanted a treat himself to a new pack(another Go Lite). He always had a large heavy duty plastic bag as a liner inside the pack and kept everything dry that way.

I use the Go Lite Continuum on most of my 2-4 day trips(not really big enough for dead-of-winter trips). It needs to be handled carefully. I'm fairly careful with my gear but I have no idea how I got a half inch slice in the heavier fabric at the bottom(probably the same way you did at summits). The long narrow zip pockets running vertically down the back are only useful to carry a baguette - I would rather have a hip-belt pocket.

Waterproofing - I always carry a silnylon pack cover and use ziplocks to keep the important stuff dry. Both weight very little and compress nicely.

The Continuum has a better suspension that some of Go Lite's larger packs (including the Odyssey IMO), but it maxxes out at 30-35 pounds. I wish someone would combine the suspension of the Mountainsmith Mountainlight 3500 with the lightweighting technology of Go Lite and Virga in a 3500-4000 cubic inch pack. Now that would be getting close to ideal. From what I see it looks like Osprey is getting close, but they need to take it to the next level weight wise.

I have a golite daypack (I think the name of it is something like "3" or "30"... it was a number anyway....I am too lazy to go into the closet to look at it right now.) I use it for most of my three-season day hikes and really like it. It has held up great for everything from bushwhacks to scrambles to regular old trails. I've had it for a few years and have had no problems. A fellow hiker calls it my "makeup case" because it is so small... but I manage to cram everything I need in there.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy a golite backpack based upon my experience.

- Ivy

I have a small Golite daypack, about 1500 cu. in., that I have used for about 8-9 years. It saves weight by omitting zippers, top pocket, and all other extras, even a waist belt. There is one large mesh pocket on the back panel and two mesh water bottle pockets on the sides. It has a cinch closing at the top. (I don't think it is made any longer.) It has been bombproof. I love it. This size pack doesn't need stabilizing at the waist. I have used it for day hikes, as a book pack, to haul loppers and bow saws out to do trail work, as a travel pack; it has survived baggage carousels that have eaten other packs and suitcases. I have never assumed it's waterproof, but line it with a plastic bag and have a pack cover that shields the pocketless top. I would not want this design in a backpack--only one compartment would make it difficult to organize gear--but I can vouch for quality work in this pack. All seams are still tight, no abrasion, even the mesh has not snagged. I can't say the same about some of the top brand name packs I've had. I hope Golite is still making packs of this quality.

My wife has a GoLite pack. It feels like it's made out of tissue paper, and it's durability has been along those same lines. Very prone to tearing.

I hate packs that are heavy when empty so I bought the Go-Lite Jam, a 35 liter daypack that weighs about a pound. I used it on about 80 hikes, a lot of which were gnarly ADK 3ker bushwhacks. I was even able to load it up with 4 liters of water and enough gear to do an overnight trip (in summer). This is one tough little pack but even though I could put my MSR's on it and my crampons in it I made the move to the JAM 2 last Novemeber for a wintery 2 nighter. The Jam2 is about 10 liters (ie. 600 cubes) bigger, has a slightly thicker back pad and a few more do-dads than its predecessor and is made of even tougher material and weighs one pound 5 oz.

I highly recommend it.

I also use a Jam as my main winter day pack. It's made of "Dyneema", which is much more abrasion and snag resistant than the sil-nylon "tissue paper" that they use for some of their other packs. One weakness is the main closure, which isn't very snowproof.

I have the discontinued Golite Gust, which was a bigger brother to the Jam and with less "frills". It's a tough pack and I use it as my ice climbing pack. I also have another discontinued pack - don't remember the name, but its also a great pack and I use it for summer overnighters/backpacks.

I would like to get the Jam 2 - I've made some modifications to my Gust to be more like the Jam 2.

Tim Seaver said:
One weakness is the main closure, which isn't very snowproof.
The closure is simply not smart. A small flap with a clip wouldn't weigh enough to make a difference. You might want to change the drawcord. Mine broke (on the Jam) but luckily I was home getting ready to go.

On the Jam2 after only 4 or 5 trips the sternum strap came off. I discovered this just as I was starting out on a hike and used an old shoelace. Go-Lite mailed me another one right away and it was disconcertingly easy to put back on.

So, now you've been warned: The sternum strap on the Jam2 can, and will come off.

I had a 'go lite' (not the brand) pack for a short while. Couch shredded it! :eek:

I have since gone back to a more substantial pack.

Like Paradox, I have a Golite Dawn that I bought a few years ago... I kind of use it very sparingly so it's held up fine for the things I do. I did use it as a summit pack when I climbed shasta because being frameless makes it really easy to pack in a large backpack. It's also a PITA to get water bottles in and out of the side pockets! I've recently gotten to use it as a daypack when using my sled to go into the backcountry, small enough to be light and large enough to hold food, water, sled repair kit, etc.

Jay

I have an Odyssey and I like it

I've used this pack on an 8 day backpack in the Sierra, in September, during which it rained on and off during 4 days and nights (very unusual). As always, I used a trash compactor bag inside for waterproofing, and lined my down sleeping bag's stuff sack with an oven roaster bag. I'm not a fan of pack covers, and did not hike with one. I did however, use a separate garbage bag at night as a pack cover. This combination kept my gear dry all week (ignoring the condensation from the fly), including drizzle, downpours and hail. The pack dried pretty quickly in the (usually) dry air of the Sierra.

I'd give the pack 4 out of 5 stars for comfort (shoulder straps and waist belt), convenience, accesibility, packability and volume. I was able to fit a large bear cannister above the sleeping bag and other stuff in the main compartment.

The hip pockets are too small for a day's supply of snacks, but would get in the way of an accessory pouch, and the top lid is rather small, so it lost a star for that.

I do not use the mesh side pockets for a rigid water bottle; that would be too long a reach for my old shoulders. Instead I've used them to stowe 2 partially filled 2 liter platypus bladders, ground sheets, poles, and other simillar items. They were very convenient for this.

The accessory attachment options worked fine for drying out crocs and such. I was able to get ALL my gear inside the pack, and only kept items on the outside for drying or convenience.

The durability was more than sufficcient for me, but I'm pretty careful with my gear and did not bushwhack with it. I kept it inside a duffle during the flights.

I had previously used a Go-lite Trek, which was kind of tight for an 8 day trip with bear cannister. The Trek became quite uncomfortable above 30 pounds: when Go-lite specifies a weight rating, I'd avoid exceeding it. The Odyssey is rated to 50 lbs. I'm not sure about cramming in 50 pounds, but I probably came pretty close to 35 and had no problems.

Ed