Sheltered summits

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Rankin

Reaction score
Rejean's comments to my BLM trip report made me wonder how many summits in the NE have a shelter on top, either heated or not. Not that BLM is predictable, but at times it does have a heated cabin right at the top of the peak.

Here are some others that have at least some shelter. This list comes with no guarantees that any of these shelters will be open when you arrive. Plan ahead!

NY:

- Whiteface (ADKs) - Winter, unheated - open to public in 'summer'.
- Graham - Old building with no roof.
- Belleayre - Ski resort - has a food place near summit - closed off season.
- Bear Mtn - Near Harriman. Perkin's tower - when open.
- Gore - Building near top.
- Hunter - Restored cabin, rarely open.
- Red Hill - Restored cabin at the summit - open on weekends in 'summer'.
- Mt. Tremper - Leanto near the summit.
- Overlook - Cabin at the summit - open weekends in 'summer'.

NH:

-Generally speaking, the AMC Huts could be used for shelter, at least from the wind, even if they are not open year round.
- Washington - Unheated 3 sided shelter in winter, open to public in 'summer'.
- Chocorua - Near summit.
- Cannon has a restaurant/lodge open near the summit (by the tram station.) It may not be open if the ski area is not (which it always is during 'winter' except possibly during extreme winds.)
- Cabot - Cabin near the summit.
- Smart's Mountain in NH has the ranger cabin (DOC) and the old fire tower. Both open to the public.
- Doublehead Mt. - This cabin is kept locked all year round. Make a reservation with the Forest service to get a key. There is a woodstove inside.
- Wildcat - There are two buildings between D and E - a patrol building (not sure if this is locked when the mountain is closed) and the old gondola terminal (last I knew, this is closed).
- Kearsarge North - Fire tower cabin which is a nice way to get out of the wind.
- Mt. Tecumseh has the top lift shack of the "High Country" double at the end of the Sosman Tr.
- South Baldhead - Along the Cohos Trail, has an excellent newly constructed leanto.

NJ:

- High Point.

MA:

- Greylock - Bascom Lodge.

VT:

- Besides the Ski centers, there are several high shelters near summits on the Long Trail, e.g. the shelter between Wilson and Breadloaf.

- Jay Peak - Heated in winter.
- Mt Mansfield - Has one on the ridge, not necessarily the summit.
- Equinox - If the restaurant / inn is open.
- Killington - Not far from summit.
- Ellen - Has a ski lift nearby, not exactly public though.
- Pico - Small shack near summit.
- Stratton - Has the caretaker's shed at the top.
- Bromley, - On the AT has a shelter on the summit open in the summer. During ski season, its used by ski patrol.
- East Mountain - North of Burke, has an array of abandoned buildings on top that could offer shelter.
- Gore Mt. - Near the Canadian border, has an old firewarden's cabin right at the top.
- Stark - In Mad river ski area, has a building at the top. Its free to stay in -
http://www.outdoors.org/publication...intercabins.cfm
- Bald Mountain - Near Westmore - Old fire warden's cabin.

ME:

- Abraham - The 'cave' - obviously unheated!
- Sugarloaf - The "Sugarshack". It's open all summer too and AT hikers sometimes stay over there.
- Saddleback - The ski patroller's hut was open then, but don't know that it's considered a public place.
- Avery - Small (locked) shelter.

NOTE: Longer comments appear below. Please read!

Last edited:
Jay Peak (VT) (heated)
Mt Mansfield (VT) (has one on the ridge, not necessarily the summit)
Equinox (VT)(if the rest./inn is open)
Killington (VT)(not far from summit)
Graham (NY)(no roof!)
Belleayre (NY)has a food place near summit
Bear Mtn (Harriman-NY) Perkin's tower when open
High Pt (NJ)

Greylock (MA) (Bascom Lodge, also thunderbolt ski shelter)
Ellen (VT) (has a ski lift nearby, not exactly public though)

Jay

Last edited:
Cannon has a restaurant/lodge open near the summit (by the tram station.) It may not be open if the ski area is not (which it always is during 'winter' except possibly during extreme winds.)

Never been skiing or hiking at Wildcat (yet)...

Tim

Sugarloaf ME yes. The "Sugarshack". It's open all summer too and AT hikers sometimes stay over there.

Tom Rankin said:
...I've never been to any of these in winter, is there a shelter (whether heated or not) open at the top:

Canon ?
Wildcat ?
Sugarloaf (ME) ?
Saddleback (ME) ?
Bigelow (ME) ?
Vermont peaks with ski slopes ??

Hunter has a cabin, but I've never seen it open.

Canon - Yes, heated with food.
Wildcat E - I think so- have not been in during winter, just once in summer.
Saddleback - Only been there once - the ski patroller's hut was open then, but don't know that it's considered a public place
Bigelows - that's quite a bit of real estate. Have only been there twice, and don't recall shelter on/near summits, but do recall some shelter along part of the ridge.

VT Peaks with ski slopes - Killington yes; Mansfield/Stowe has one on the ridge, but it's a rather long way from the summit; Ellen is similar to Mansfield in that the Glen House is 1/2+ mile from the summit but more accessible than Mansfield; Jay has one near summit.

Kevin Rooney said:
Bigelows - that's quite a bit of real estate. Have only been there twice, and don't recall shelter on/near summits, but do recall some shelter along part of the ridge.
There is a small lookout tower on Avery if I recall correctly.

Tom Rankin said:
There is a small lookout tower on Avery if I recall correctly.

Avery does have a shelter.

Pico is another one that comes to mind.

Kearsarge North has the fire tower cabin which is a nice way to get out of the wind.

Wildcat I'm not sure counts for much...there are two buildings between D and E - a patrol building (not sure if this is locked when the mountain is closed) and the old gondola terminal (last I knew, this is closed).

If near the summit counts, then Chocorua and Galehead(not open in winter) can be added to the list.

Kevin Rooney said:
There used to be a lean-to between West and Avery but it was taken down and now it's just a tent site. There's also Horns Pond - a bunch of small lean-tos, but not particularly near the peak(s).

Saddleback also has a little something down to the west (here) which is supposed provide emergency shelter but I know nothing about it. You can see it from the summit - a little roof above the spruce just around tree line. Any one know?

Stratton (VT) has the caretaker's shed at the top...does that count? I would doubt that it's open during the winter (only been there in summer)...

Smart's

Smart's Mountain in NH has the ranger cabin (DOC) and the old fire tower. Both open to the public. Carry in and carry out please. I realize that I really don't need to tell y'all that, but seems like I carry so much trash off the mountain every year.

Thanks everyone! Keep 'em coming!

I've modified the first post to contain everything posted to date. If you note any errors or additions, please let me know.

A few caveats: Cannon has shelter--the summit tram building is open--when the tram is running. It doesn't run at night, and it can close down in high wind or other adverse weather conditions. Kearsarge North cab is open, but ice and snow may make climbing the stairs difficult to impossible. Etc. In other words, you can't rely on these shelters to help you out in bad weather. They removed the Thunderstorm Jct. shelter hut because it was an "attractive nuisance" of sorts that might encourage hikers to go up rather than down in bad weather.By the way, Lafayette used to have a "painted cloth" that could be thrown over the stone walls of a small building to protect summit-goers. But that was in 1826, shortly after it was renamed from "Great Haystack." The remnants of a foundation remain.

Waumbek said:
Kearsarge North cab is open, but ice and snow may make climbing the stairs difficult to impossible.

In all fairness, if you're hiking Kearsarge North in conditions that might make the stairs icy, you should have the equipment necessary to get up them - it's only one flight of stairs and they get sunlight. I hiked it a month or so ago when pretty much everything was covered in a very thick icy crust and the stairs were actually easier than the last 2 miles of the hike.

Bromley, VT, on the AT has a shelter on the summit open in the summer. During ski season, its used by ski patrol.