Upper Valley Beer night...soon

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jason Berard

Reaction score
N. Thetford, VT Avatar: Cabot, winter 2011
I think we'll well overdue for another Upper Valley Beer night.....the last one went well at the Norwich Inn, but maybe a different venue would be good, too.
Some that come to mind are 7 Barrel in Leb. or Skunk Hollow in Hartland? Maybe Murphy's in Hanover....

for me weekdays are better.... does anyone want to suggest a few dates and any other places?

class.....Bueller.......?

man, looks like this will be a small gathering! :eek:
where are all the other Upper Valley folks???
Nutsosa......Pamola...... blacknblue......Abster?

anyone out there???

<sounds of crickets chirping>

I'm here. And all for it.
7 Barrel sounds good to me. Their beer isn't as good as Norwich's, but their pub fare can't be beat.

Pre-meal hike anyone? That was nice last time around. I promise more homebrew.

We'll make it a solid gathering. We need the others to chime in though. TC, where are ya? no skipping this time. I'm sure I can get whichway and greenleaf there as well.

excellent! I'm all for a hike.....ya know.....Gile Mt. is so great for that......I'll see if I can think of something closer to West Leb.......French's Ledges comes to mind, or the stuff by the Wilder Dam....I've never been there....not sure what its like....

I'm here, never fear!

I would be interested in a beer night. I live in Springfield but work in Brattleboro, so the haul up to W.Leb/Hanover/Norwich is sort of a drag on a work day. But do-able. I wouldn't be able to join for the hike though. I don't work on Monday's so it would be easier to get up "North" and to join for a pre-meal hike.

How 'bout next week Monday March 3rd. Seven Barrels. Pre-hike: TBD
Time: TBD That's my suggestion. I'm open to other options.

Or you could carpool down to Brattleboro and meet me at my downtown office(McNeills). :cool: Okay, I know that won't happen, but I thought I'd throw it out there. (The beer is worth the drive though.)

I'm in for UV beer night, & 7Barrel works for me.

I'm willing to drive down for a trip to McNeill's at some point, but if the evening resembles my last visit to their brewpub, I won't be driving back...

Toe Cozy said:
Or you could carpool down to Brattleboro and meet me at my downtown office(McNeills). :cool: Okay, I know that won't happen, but I thought I'd throw it out there. (The beer is worth the drive though.)

Reactions: arm
French's Ledges?

I'm leaning towards French's Ledges..

description and map

I'm thinking of starting from Columbus Jordan Rd... as the trail length probably fits in with our schedule a bit better than a 3 mile round tripper.
:eek: we need to leave time for 7Barrel!! ;) Does anyone have any beta on trailhead parking there, or the quickest way to get there from West Leb?

what do y'all think?? What time did we meet for the last hike to Gile?

That's fine with me. I don't have any of the info you asked for though. I can meet anytime at all since I don't work on Monday's. Hopefully this is a popular local hike and will be broken out after the weekend. Otherwise we may be breaking trail, although if we have a good handful of people maybe that won't be a problem.

That's about all the input I can come up with.

The trail I think suits our time frame the best is short .6 miles each way... the "blue" or south trail on the map at the bottom of the link in my earlier post.
someone from that "other" forum lives locally to the hike and will try to check out trail, parking, etc. today, and I'll report back. would 4pm be too early for people for the hike? 6pm or so for 7Barrel?

parking...trail conditions...

here's the report from happyhiker on that other hiking board:

Hi Jason,

I didn't get out to hike at all yesterday, but did go check out the parking at the trailheads for French's Ledges. Happy to report they are plowed out quite nicely. The parking for the shortest, most used trail is only big enough for 2 cars. The trail itself has seen some snowshoe traffic, just not since this week's storm. There is parking for another 3 maybe 4 cars just a few tenths of a mile down the road at the middle trailhead, and I couldn't see any evidence of traffic leading from that trailhead. Those 2 trailheads are only a 5 to 10 minute roadwalk apart . There is also room for a few cars just off Trues Brook Road, before you cross the covered bridge. The road itself is a little rough, winter in NH, what you would expect. Bumpy and sloppy, but I did not need 4 wheel drive.
Driving directions are very simple. FRom West Leb take 12A south past Home Depot, up over the hill past Lebanon Crushed Stone and the Dump. Take the first left which will be Trues Brook Road I would guess 5 or 6 miles, 15 minutes or so. You'll be looking for a road on the right with a covered bridge. Take that for maybe a mile before you take the first left hand turn, which will be columbus Jordan rd. Follow that to the trailheads. The middle, bigger trailhead will be on the right along a field. Signs are not that obvious in summer so probably less so now. The one we want is a few tenths of a mile past that on the left, sign on tree.
I would think most people are probably traveling through west leb to get there, and then going back to seven barrel, so carpools from west leb would make the most sense.
I am looking foward to this! Should be a hoot! And I'm glad it isn't any tougher, as I'll be spent from the Osceolas on Sunday! Very Happy
Happy Trails.

so I think we should pick a time to meet at 7Barrel, and carpool........

looking forward to this! :D