Getting the weather forecast in the Whites

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Kittredge

Reaction score
Some of the recent rescues in the Whites have occurred because some really nasty weather moved in fast and caught hikers unprepared.

Now I know I'm supposed to check before I hit the trails, but it don't always happen. If I've forgotten to check the Obs website before I left Boston, or I don't happen to be passing by Pinkham Notch or the Highland Center, how can I get the higher summits forecast? Is there a number I can call? Is there a radio station (that I can pick up everywhere) that gives the higher summits forecast every hour on the hour?

And it should really be higher summits forecast geared to hikers, and not just the NPR general forecast for northern NH.

There are several ways of doing this, one is the national weather service which does talk about the mountains but mostly means where people live and and not 4000 feet. The national weather service also has a summit weather forecast but it only comes out that morning and can be bad for planning. The best thing to do is always forecast for worse then they have. If they say 2-4 inches of snow, take into account upslope and say 3-6 or even 4-8 for the mountains. Its a tricky place to forecast. -Mattl

Weather Once you are on the road

Hi Bob:

If you are already on the road, you could use one of these handy telephone numbers:

AMC (front desk) 603-466-2725
Mt. Washington WxPhone 603-356-2137
National Weather Service 603-225-8791

You could also stop in a coffee shop, such as the Cascade House in No. Woodstock (across from Woodstock Inn), which has a PC with internet access for customer use.

Others on this forum may know other coffee shops with internet access which may be open.

Ed

Here's the Vermont Public Radio coverage map:

vpr_coverage_map.jpg

The Eye on the Sky forecasts are broadcast as follows:

Weekdays
6:08 a.m. Forecast Update
6:19 a.m. Weather Journal
7:06 a.m. Detailed Forecast
7:19 a.m. Recreational Forecast
7:49 a.m. Forecast Update
8:06 a.m. Detailed Forecast
8:19 a.m. Forecast Update
8:49 a.m. Weather Journal
9:04 a.m. Forecast Update
10:04 a.m. Forecast Update
11:04 a.m. Forecast Update
12:07 p.m. Forecast Update
12:55 p.m. Comprehensive Forecast
3:04 p.m. Forecast Update
4:04 p.m. Forecast Update
4:30 p.m. "Eye on the Night Sky" stargazing guide
5:04 p.m. Forecast Update
5:33 p.m. Forecast Update
6:04 p.m. Forecast Update
8:04 p.m. Forecast Update
10:04 p.m. Forecast Update *at 9:59 p.m. on Fridays

Saturday
8:04 a.m. Forecast Update
9:04 a.m. Recreational Forecast
9:18 a.m. Forecast Update
12:01 p.m. Comprehensive Forecast

Sunday
8:04 a.m. Forecast Update
9:04 a.m. Forecast Update
9:18 a.m. Forecast Update
10:04 a.m. Forecast Update
5:04 p.m. Forecast Update
10:04 p.m. Forecast Update
11:04 p.m. Forecast Update

Not very detailed, but as a last resort...

You can text "Weather [zipcode]" to 46645 (GOOGL), and you will get back a summary forecast including current weather conditions (temp, precip/conditions, wind direction and speed, humidity), and a three-day summar forecast with high and low temps plus predicted conditions.

For example, I texted 'weather 03215' just now, and received:

Weather: New Hampshire 03215
18F, Snow
Wind: W 1 mph
Hum: 100%
Wed: 8F-21F, Snow
Thu: -17F-22F, Mostly Sunny
Fri: -1F-16F, Partly Sunny

Ed Poyer said:
Others on this forum may know other coffee shops with internet access which may be open.

Maiya Papaiya on 302 in Bethlehem has internet access. Need your own laptop to hook up.