Fleece jacket options

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moonrock

Reaction score
For the last 8-10 years I have had a 200 weight fleece jacket with vertical side (handwarmer) pockets and a single breast zip pocket (crucial for eyewear). Forest Green color. Recently the hems and main zipper started to go, and I started shopping at REI and Great Outdoor (No EMS in NC, but I checked online there as well).

I was looking for 200-300 fleece, similar description to what I have, but maybe a little more wind-resistant (tho I use my Precip as a shell, and have been happy with that). But I was surprised by the limited fleece design offerings - not to mention (as with backpacks) the dull "not-quite-colors" that are currently in "style".

Looked at TNF Denali, but have read reviews panning it as more fashion statement than real inclement/wilderness jacket. TNF seems to have gobbled a lot of the market, without really doing much with it.

Recommendations ? (less than ~ $200, on down)

Thanks,
MR

Not to throw you a cuve ball, but here's the pitch; If you're willing to spend upwards of $200 on a fleece, I'd seriously consider a great sotshell on sale, like this one. I don't carry any fleece in winter anymore, unless I have room for one as a camp jacket.

Also, fwiw, North Face jackets don't fit well if you're broad/muscular/heavy in the chest, I've found - too tight.

I'd recommend a look at something like the Marmot Driclime Windshirt. It gives a lot of warmth and wind resistance for relatively little weight and $.

http://marmot.com/fall_2007/mens/outerwear/wind/original_driclime_windshirt

Once I got one of these, my basic fleece jackets sat in the closet--too bulky and heavy for the protection they give.

Whatever the season, the windshirt is in my pack or on my back.

out from under my rock.

Chip said:
Not to throw you a cuve ball, but here's the pitch; If you're willing to spend upwards of $200 on a fleece,

Are there really $200 Fleece jackets out there?

and if so,

Do people really buy them?

and if so,

Why?

onestep said:
Are there really $200 Fleece jackets out there?

and if so,

Do people really buy them?

and if so,

Why?
Something like the REI Muir Woods jacket is much cheaper and very serviceable. 2 zippered handwarmer pockets. Doesn't have a zippered breast pocket, but there are 2 inside-access pockets between the outer and the handwarmer pockets. http://www.rei.com/product/753602

FWIW, I'm happy with mine. (Mine is a muted blue ("blue heather"), but that color doesn't seem to be available any more.)

Doug

Chip said:
Not to throw you a curve ball, but here's the pitch; If you're willing to spend upwards of $200 on a fleece, I'd seriously consider a great soft shell ...
Keep talking to me Chip! Laurie has one of those (sort of), and I've been thinking of getting one myself. I have a heavy fleece and a light fleece (both vintage EMS), which I almost never bring together, but I am happy with both. I bring which ever one I think I will need based on temps and wind.

I would avoid the Denali fleece jacket unless you're more concerned with looks than utility, it is heavy, the wind goes right through it (yet it doesn't breathe well), and doesn't pack well (if you do want a Denali fleece, I'll sell you mine for $75 since I don't use it for anything anymore :p ).

I used to carry a fleece on all of my hikes but I have since gone to greener pastures. Right now i'm in love with my soft shell (Shoeler) however I always carry a primaloft (or polarguard, i forget) light jacket with me (similar to a patagonia micropuff). Personally either of these do a better job than the fleece ever did.

The soft shell breathes amazingly but isn't very warm once you stop. The insulated jacket weighs less, packs smaller, breathes better, and is warmer than the fleece. So it depends on which purpose you're looking for. If I had to dispose of one of the jackets I would get rid of the soft shell and wear my hard shell when it was too cold or windy for just thermals and have the insulated jacket for when it got really cold.

If you're willing to spend around $200, take a look at www.beyondfleece.com you can get a custom made soft shell for around that price.

Tom Rankin said:
Keep talking to me Chip! Laurie has one of those (sort of), and I've been thinking of getting one myself. I have a heavy fleece and a light fleece (both vintage EMS), which I almost never bring together, but I am happy with both. I bring which ever one I think I will need based on temps and wind.

Tom,
I was skeptical about the whole soft shell "revolution" for the longest time. The "athletic fit" of the jackets coupled with the cost made me wary of spending that type of money. One day Nicole and I were out shopping at TJ Max and I found a Cloudveil soft shell for $69! :eek: I couldn't pass up on the offer (I'm one of those "it's so cheap I can't afford not to buy it" idiots) so I bought it but I was still apprehensive until I started using it. So far I've been on 3 hikes with it and it has been spectacular, it breathes great, it sheds snow from branches better than my hard shell (that might just be because the DWR is still fresh though). Try and weasel borrowing one from a friend to try it out, I now recommend them.

Last edited:
Thanks for the prompt response.

These softshells are something totally new to me.
I understand that softshells block moving air, but do they also INSULATE against passive heat loss ? Would one keep me warm during breaks (and in camp), as effectively as my bulkier Precip/fleece combo does? Or would I need to augment the softshell with a down/primaloft layer (or heavier shell) at those times ?

MR

PS: yes, I have a hat. :)

I have got away from fleece and gore tex completely - too bulky in the pack and not as flexible...
My layering consists of a Marmot Precip shell, one or two coolmax base layers and I carry two jackets - one is an unlined EMS windshirt/jacket - not sure what its called, but it is 92 % polyester and 8 % spandex, and a Marmot DriClime jacket. Combining these items keeps the weight down and the flexibility up - I also carry a Primaloft Parka in case I get stopped anywhere for a period of time. On cold winter hikes I still will carry fleece pants.

moonrock said:
OOPS

Bignslow, that hit it on the head :)

Like I said, if I had to pick one I'd take the insulated jacket over the soft shell strictly for versatility and more warmth. I do hike very warm ie long sleeve t-shirt only for 25º-40º, thermal top only for 15º-30º, thermal top & soft shell for 5º-20º, I'll only put on my hard shell for precipitation or a lot of wind, and I'll only ever put on the insulating jacket for breaks or the descent (and downhill skiing). I used to use a heavy weight thermal top over my mid weight thermals in place of the soft shell, but the soft shell is more comfortable across a broader temp range and it sheds snow instead of absorbing like the thermals.

If you do decide to purchase a fleece I wouldn't bother with anything less than a windstopper model for better versatility and warmth (I have a bit of a gear addiction in case you couldn't tell)

Tom Rankin said:
Hey, don't broke it if ain't fixed, man - you do alot more hiking than me...BUT...since I'm heading to Rainier the end of May I was upgrading to the Guide's recommended Gear List. Schoeller soft shell jackets and pants are heavily recommended and I found that Mammut that I linked to above. Down to zero I've been quite comfortable in that jacket with just a Outdoor Research Sequence Tee shirt under it. I also carry a capilene long sleeve, hard shell jacket and down jacket for when they are needed on breaks, tree-line, camp, etc.

I own and absolutely love the Mountain Hardwear Windstopper Tech Jacket. It's half as bulky as the NF Denali, but it's still nearly as warm. It blocks wind extraordinarly well....multiple times better than every other fleece I've owned.

It's $185 MSRP, but you can find them on sale/closeout every now and then for as little as $130.

I carry both a light fleece and a softshell nowadays. The fleece has a hood on it to keep the snow out of the back of my neck, and the softshell is nice for poking up above treeline. The Softshell is the LL Bean Trail model Softshell, I think I paid about $85 for it. GREAT piece of gear! Basically the fleece jacket is the one I wear most when I know I am going to get snow dropped on me (its not windproof or wind resistant so I would rather get that sopping wet with snow and sweat and then switch to the softshell when I need wind protection rather than ice versa).

Brian

fleece jacket

I have gotten away from the "fleece" jacket opting for multiple thin mostly windproof layers.
MH Feather transition base, with 100 fleece top..$9.95 Beans..with MH transition zip jacket keeps me good to zero with some exposure..in the pack..200 fleece shirt, down vest, Arcteryx pro gortex jacket..on cold days another transition layer which i find to be similar to the elfin fabric that frodo used...Light..windproof..wicking..and warm..

Little Rickie said:
Some of this stuff is pricey. Does anyone on this forum shop at Walmart?

I haven't for outdoor gear. But gear swaps and thrift shops have produced a few really good bargains.

fleece jacket

No doubt upon purchase that MH transition a little pricey...60-70$ range at end of season Lahouts..but I have 3 of these shirts..all over 5 years old..washed dozens and dozens of times..they perform perfectly...don't shrink..(air dry)..and don't retain odor....they end up being pretty cheap really for the protection offered..but not likely to find at Walmart