Mount Cardigan via The West Ridge Trail

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chinooktrail

Reaction score
I am thinking about hiking up Mount Cardigan via the West Ridge Trail and down via Clark-South Ridge-West Ridge.

Has anyone been up there recently?

I was wondering how far the road gets plowed in the winter, all the way to the trailhead parking? Or is there going to be a long added road walk?

Thanks!

:)

Haven't been in this year but there is usually a parking are for about six cars opposite the road to the state park in Orange. Its not a bad road hike to the beginning of the trail and the trail itself is fairly moderate. Have fun! :)

Google knows everything :D

From Local Backcountry Skiing Spots:
Bear left onto Route 118 North (following the sign for Cardigan State Park), take a right shortly after at another Cardigan sign onto Orange Rd. The winding little road turns to dirt, and after following it 3.5 miles, arrive at the gated access road to the State Park picnic area / trailhead on your left. The gate is closed in winter, and a winter parking area is plowed out here. Strap on your skis and climb the final half-mile to the summer parking area and trailhead.

Park road is not plowed. Usually room for 4-6 cars on the town rd at the junction with the park access rd, should not be a problem mid-week. West Ridge Tr gets regular traffic, so should be well packed after weekend. South Ridge gets lighter traffic and can be difficult to follow up on the ledges, but you may luck out with some tracks. These trails are excellent for snowshoes or skis!

The winter lot is 2/3 mile from the summer lot.

The West Ridge shouldn't be a problem, but coming down the South Ridge and scooting back to the West Ridge can be tricky in deep snow if you aren't familiar with the trail and nobody's packed it out.

Note that there is a snowmobile trail that is intertwined with West Ridge, you may have to look closely to find the divergences

ah, also good to know. Thanks.

Good time to practice my map and compass skills, or lack of!

:rolleyes:

Do beware that the plowed parking area can get muddy in the spring.

Thanks everyone!

I was hoping to try to get up there for at least sunset after all my Dr. appts at Dartmouth on Wednesday... But I am hearing nothing but rain/freezing rain/ and a 'wintery mix' for the next few days.

Not exactly my ideal solo hiking weather.

Maybe in a few months for follow up!

:rolleyes:

chinooktrail said:
I was hoping to try to get up there for at least sunset

That's a great sunset hike...I did it back in the fall (while the access road was still open) - the views are (obviously) great for a sunset, and since the trail approaches from the west to an extent, it stays brighter layter (pardon the indirect Nick Drake pun).