Ghost Towns and Hiking

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erugs

Reaction score
Recently I watched a program on TV that talked about an abandoned village somewhere in NH that had been successful until a new road was built that bypassed the town. The only thing I can remember is there is a lake/pond nearby and only cellar holes and maybe some gravesites remain. I wasn't interested then, but am now and can't find what I was watching. Does this strike a bell with anyone?

I've recently explored the "ghost town" of Monson, NH and am pretty familiar with Dog Town in Gloucester, MA. Many years ago I visited the town of Peeling in the White Mountains and am curious about other such places to check out in the fall, after the snow has melted away. :p

I am not quite sure, but I think it was 4a near Gile State forest that your talking about. Can anyone confirm????

Also, I was reading the AMC guide description of the Cobble Hill trail, and it apparently allows access to an old settlement that once thrived there. I hope to check it out some day.

Brian

Brian - Cobble Hill, west of the Kinsmans, was one of my favorite trails when I was trail riding and had put together a circuit of a mixture of roads, trails, etc. of about 125 miles. A really beautiful area, as I recall. There is a branch that heads west, eventually coming out into Bath. (Of course what is possible on wheels is quite different on foot, distance-wise.)

Poison Ivy - Thanks for the link. I had forgotten about that.

Here's added info about what I saw on TV. The town was successful, not just a farmhouse or two, until the new road went in. There was a pond of good size and rolling hills. Darn, I wish I had paid more attention.

Little River State Park

I am going this summer to explore Little River State Park near the Waterbury Reservoir. Anything especially interesting there that I should look for? Otherwise I will enjoy a pleasant afternoon walk in the woods along some old woods roads.

Ann -

I doubt this is the place you're looking for, but ... in the hills around the AMC's Cardigan Lodge are some old cellar holes, roads, etc. Very hard to spot now, of course, as cellar holes weren't dug too deeply and fill in rapidly with organic material. One of them, somewhat near the top of a hill, was used as the endpoint of a leg on a map & compass workshop.

On a somewhat related tangent - I caught a re-run of a show that explores what would happen to towns, cities, roads, electric generating stations, etc if all the people in the world were to suddenly vanish. It's interesting to see how fast nature would reclaim it. They showed Chernobyl (sp?), 20 years later, and how quickly even concrete buildings, bridges, and roads were disappearing, not from the radioactivity, but simply the forces of natures.

A great town to visit in the White Mountains is Livermore. If you walk down you will the remnants of the logging town that used to exhist there. Its pretty neat to see. It's off of Sawyer River Rd. about halfway to the signal ridge trail. -Mattl