Cavedog in Backpacker Magazine

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swamp

Reaction score
In the most recent (May 2004) edition of Backpacker Magazine, there is a several-page-long article concerning the continuing exploits of our own Cavedog. He certainly earned the recognition.

Does it say or does anyone know what adventure Cavedog is up to now?

It was about the South beyond whatever challenge...

I don't think it mentioned anything new he's planning. It goes on to say that he was trying really hard to earn money doing this by earning sponsorships and that the outdoor industry has pretty much ignored him. that was tough to deal with, but he hasn't given up hope yet.

His girlfriend had some words to say about it all too.

on an unrelated note, Backpacker is getting worse with every issue... This new gimmick they have of being "a GPS -enabled magazine" is a crock! they have little cardstock tear-outs of gps coordinates for locations...Who cares???

They just begain a run of several issues devoted to the state highpoints...

every Christmas my sister resubscribes me... I enjoy it sometimes, but I mostly find it depressing....

okay, rant over...

spencer

Down on the Dog?

Hey all,

I read that article last night and found the portrayal of the Dog pretty unflattering.

I thought Mike Lanza (the author) portrayed Ted as a rather pathetic character chasing "experiences" by achieving pretty unimportant/obscure goals.

Not sure why Lanza was so down on the Dog.

After meeting Ted at a Gathering, he seemed pretty harmless to me: Just several orders of magnitude more driven than the run-of-the mill list chasers that frequent this site.

Lanza's portrayal cast Ted as a lost soul in search of adulthood (eg the crack about Ted turning into "Mortgage Dog.")

With all the crap going on in the world today, a guy who focuses his life on breaking long distance hiking records (however obscure) provides a welcome change of pace from the high-achieving liars, cheats and thieves in government and business.

I say cut the Dog some slack Mr. Lanza.

cb

I haven't read the article and have no plans to. I wonder just how well Lanza got to know Cavedog? I think the esteem held for Cavedog among the Gatherers who met him a few years ago in the Adirondacks was unanimously high in all regards to his skills, maturity and humanity. Lanza is a helluva one to belittle Cavedog, if that's what actully comes across, after having dined so well at the commercial trough sometimes known as AMC Outdoors. Guess that's the key to success ... don't do it, just write about it.

I didn't think the article was as harsh on the Dog as Chris mentions, but that's just how I read it I suppose.

Lanza interviewed and hiked with the Dog while he was doing the South ... Challenge.

Lanza mentions how he was contemplating a crack at Tim's record in NH before CaveDog blew him away on a final section in the South...

spencer