Evans Notch

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slowmo68

Reaction score
First time here. Love this forum. Does anyone know when route 113 thru Evans Notch typically opens or is it a set date?

Don't know about Meader Ridge specifically, but last weekend the Moats/Red Ridge were bare except for isolated snow patches.

SK, 113 was closed over the weekend at the gates. A call to the rangers today says that it's still closed and has no projected opening date. Still, there's no snow visible down low; if there's anything still on the road, it has to be up at the summit.

The road usually is not fully open until Mid May. At some point they will open the gates, but it may not neccesarilly be open the entire length. Therefore early season you should plan to drive in from the "closest"end to the trailhead rather than planning to drive up and over the notch.

Thanks Peakbagger and el-bagr. Worse comes to worse I'll just do the Baldfaces again. I think I'll approach it from the west, just in case.

Note: the Evans Notch Rangers' office said they "...believe the road is open from the south up to Basin Pond..." (Cold River Campground) and Brickett Place. They also noted that there is a landslide across Route 113 on the northern section which needs to be cleared out before the road opens. Ther is also some snow remaining on the highpoint of the road. Campgrounds will definitely be open by 5/10, and the road likely just shortly before that.

lot of snow elsewhere

Hey SK,
lots of snow at Dorset peak, VT. Specifically 1/4 mile below col/T intersection. Snowshoes not necessary where there are snomobile tracks, but needed everywhere else...I did whole trail in sneakers, but I WISHED I had snowshoes.
Where is this trail, I may be near there this weekend. Is it near Royce Mountain? I'd like to do that one.

SpecKled Mountain is a great hike off of 113 starting from Brickett place. I hiked it last June, up the Bickford trail to Blueberry Ridge Trail which hooks back up with the Bickford trail just below the summit. There are very nice views from the Blueberry ledge trail and from the summit, no views coming down Bickford but very easy footing. I would not suggest coming down Blueberry ledge trail if doing the loop (pretty steep). I had asked about 113 being open or closed because I wanted access towards Wild River campground parking lot. I would like to hike in behind the Basin on Basin Trail. Looks like it will be a couple of weeks away though.
Thanks for the info el-Bagr
Chris

el-bagr said:
Don't know about Meader Ridge specifically, but last weekend the Moats/Red Ridge were bare except for isolated snow patches.

el-bagr, I was interested in a fairly dry hike this weekend and your recent hike to The Moats sounds good. Did you do the loop from Diana's Bath? Were all 3 Moats snow free? Thanks.

I hiked So.Moat and over to Middle Moat from Pasaconaway Rd last weekend. The only place that had any snow at all was a small stretch inbetween South and Middle Moats. I was suprised that there was even very very little mud on the trail. I was wishing for my shorts shortly after starting as it warmed up into the 6o's. This was last Saturday April 17th. I hope the conditions this weekend match last as this was one of the best spring hikes I have had in years.
Chris

Yeah, we did the loop from Diana's Baths, up Red Ridge first (to avoid leaving the brook fords for later in case conditions changed). Red Ridge had hardly any snow on the trail, but you can still find it in a few patches off to the sides. Along the Moat ridgeline, after Red Ridge joins up near those boulders, there were some patches, but it wasn't bad. Overall fairly dry mud-wise, though the mossy sections in the trees headed north to N Moat were divinely dewy.

I'll be doing some trailwork on the Baldface trail on Sunday, maybe I'll see some of you there. I was going to post road status afterwards, but sounds like many will be up in that area. I was also going to check on Hurricane Mtn road.
The Basin is before the gate and I'm sure you'll be able to drive in, or at least get pretty close by car.

Sherpa

I never made it until today (Monday). Some commitments reared their head and I couldn't go Sunday. The light rain wasn't too bad, I was sweating badly anyway. Didn't see a soul all day. Where was the snow line on Old Speck, 3500'?

FWIW, Rt 113 through Evans Notch appeared to be open today, even though the "road closed" sign was still hooked to the gate. Turned around at Brickett place. Maybe they were doing road work in prep of openning for next weekend....

Has anyone else noticed a lot of blowdowns this Spring or is it just me?

Greg, snow line was more like 2300 feet. We started seeing it solid 1/2 mile up the trail (just above the falls). It was a mess until the ledges below the Eyebrow junction, then again in the slight col at around 3000 (I think). There was still 3-4 feet in many spots. On Sunday, the group (not me) went up Baldpate and said the conditions were a lot better (probably because it froze overnight)

I still need to get up to Meader! I've been looking at that route for too long!

Does anyone know if Evans notch 113 is fully open yet. I am planning a hike with my daughter for Saturday and hoping to hike Caribou Mountain. If the gate is closed we may do Speckled Mountain instead, although that may be 2 miles too long for my daughter. She is 10 years old and loses patience and leg strength at about 7 miles. I am thrilled that she likes to hike though and try to pick the appropriate hikes to keep it that way.