new trails for loops?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

forestgnome

Reaction score
trails for loops?

Didn't want to to drift Waumbeck's thread.

I've given thought to the idea of more trails many times ( I don't watch tv and I hike alone :rolleyes: ). I generally want no more trails in WMNF, but there is one idea that I often consider, which is new connector trails that are designed to enable loop hikes ( without bw) to popular places.

Loop trails are very popular. Consider a heavy use trail that leads to a list summit/view point/ waterfall/ etc., such as the trail to Arethusa Falls. If a trail were cut to allow a loop, where each trail was of roughly equal distance, would this cut traffic in half on the original trail? Would that not be better for the original trail? Would it encourage more use, but still reduce traffic by a lesser amount on the original trail?

I'm not advocating new trails at all, just wondering if there is any recent history or expert theory to shed light on the idea.

happy trails :)

Last edited:
Interesting question gnome. It depends which trail it is. I think on Arethusa that the people would double, causing both more wear and tear, and more accidents at the falls.

Isn't there already a loop trail to Arethusa Falls, via Frankenstein Cliffs? There are loops all around if you drop the equal lengths requirement.

I love loops. I think there should be more loops. As you know well, gnome, the best loops are bushwhacks.

Doh, just realized my post yesterday in the new trails thread better fits here - reopening the trail from North Twin back down to the Gale River Trail. That'd be an enticing loop.

there are some 'lost" trails that allow loops, like the Fire Warden's trail off Hale that brings you back to the North Twin trail

The walk back through Camp Dodge (ot much different than the Cowboy Brook bushwhack) brings you back with a couple of hundred yards of 19 Mile Brook.

The other thing to consider but requires planning & one more car are car spotting or something I've done before is key swapping (best done the day before so you meet in the middle & get the key to your own car back.)

In Winter I'm okay with re-tracing my steps but agree in good weather I prefer not retracing my steps but seeing new things. (even places I've been before)

Firewarden's Trail is a great one!

I did the Firewarden's Trail up to Hale off of the North Twin, and it was a great one. We did this with a group, and a couple of the people knew where to access it. ;)

Is the FW trail all that hard to find? From either end? I ask because I will likely want to do the Twins, Zealand and Hale as a loop this summer, and the FW trail figures prominently in accomplishing that goal.

Tim

Tim, if you have the ability to read an old topo map and can find those land features on the ground, you should be able to find the lower end of the Firewardens Trail. I think you can find the upper end by following the herd paths at the summit.

kltilton said:
Tim, if you have the ability to read an old topo map and can find those land features on the ground, you should be able to find the lower end of the Firewardens Trail. I think you can find the upper end by following the herd paths at the summit.

Exactly - in summer 2006 I was solo and found the lower end off of the N Twin trail just the way Kevin suggests. I had seen an on-line version of older map and marked where I thought it would be. I should say that I had to do a couple of passes through the area until I found it - but when I found it, it was quite obvious. And I am not very experienced in off trail hiking (Black Pond Bushwhack and some areas of Acadia are about it).

I am in the same boat and I have seen the map, but haven't been there. I have heard it is not hard to find, although the comment above suggests it may be -- the implication being that those couple of people knew the secret.

Thanks,
Tim

bikehikeskifish said:
the implication being that those couple of people knew the secret.
It's not a secret, but it's the type of information that IMO shouldn't be carelessly posted online. I'm sure a few well placed PMs will get you the information you need.

bikehikeskifish said:
I am in the same boat and I have seen the map, but haven't been there. I have heard it is not hard to find, although the comment above suggests it may be -- the implication being that those couple of people knew the secret.

Thanks,
Tim

I didn't know any secrets! Just dumb luck that I found it I guess. Since I don't have a GPS I don't have more detailed info to send.

If you search trip reports either here or on RoT I bet you'll find some people to who have more details to provide.