Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ice Axe Length

Quote Originally Posted by bikehikeskifish
    Any time you have one tool masquerading as two tools, it's not optimum for either use. Still, it may be an acceptable compromise.

Tim
    Tim - with all due respect - this is one compromise that could kill you. Just like you wouldn't repel of a cliff with a frayed rope, or clip in using a carabiner you bought at Home Depot, use a real ice axe.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Rooney
    Tim - with all due respect - this is one compromise that could kill you. Just like you wouldn't repel of a cliff with a frayed rope, or clip in using a carabiner you bought at Home Depot, use a real ice axe.
    Agreed...

Except that I wouldn't rappel (abseil in British) with a frayed rope.

Doug

I guess I should have proofread that one a bit better, Doug. With spelling and fractured sentences like that, I could get a job as a presidential speech writer in a heartbeat ...

I guess I should have proofread that one a bit better, Doug. With spelling and fractured sentences like that, I could get a job as a presidential speech writer in a heartbeat ...
    Thats all right--a high school English teacher would have a coronary if he tried to correct these forums...

However, in this case repel and rappel have rather different meanings.

And I'm rather "distypic"* myself. I have to proofread everything I type or it may not make much sense...

Doug

* PS as long as I am coining words, distypic=dis-type-ic.

Good point. Note that I didn't specifically say the ice axe -- hiking pole was an acceptable compromise. In fact, I was making a general statement to the opposite. If you buy a combination high-def TV and espresso machine, it's probably not very good at either. The more-specialized the tool, the less good idea it would be to combine it with another.

OTOH, my winter cycling clothes and ski stuff together have been fine for winter hiking.

Tim
    Bike, Hike, Ski, Sleep. Eat, Fish, Repeat.