Peggy O and Tom and Laurie's 46x2!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Rankin

Reaction score
Laurie and I headed up Saturday 3/8 with rain coming down all day. We were afraid the high peaks would be covered with either tons of snow or tons of ice, and that there would be flooding issues.

Saturday night there was a power outage in Lake George, cutting short our plans to visit the pub there. Oh well...

Sunday we drove to the Loj and did Phelps. There was a light snow most of the day. Amazingly, there was neither a ton of new snow, nor flooding. I guess the conditions were perfect for the snow pack to absorb the water. :?: We hiked the peak fairly slowly, meeting a few folks on the way up.

This peak marks my completion of the 2nd round of the regular 46! Woohoo!

Monday - Thursday we were at Peggy O'Brien Camp. Monday was the walk in day. Tuesday we did Haystack, following JayH, AJTIV, and Snickers trail from the day before. The trail was great, thanks guys! The snow was very supportive, so we side-hilled around Little Haystack with only one spruce trap. We got to the col and it was calm, amazing! At the top, it was a little windy, but we stayed for several minutes admiring the views. Going back down there were a few good butt slides! :D

Wednesday we did Big Slide. The forecast was for morning flurries, which turned into snow all day! :eek: Welcome to the ADKs! :D Again, we took it slowly and made a 4 hour round trip on this relatively easy peek. More good butt sliding!

This peak also marked the completion of Laurie's 46x2! Way to go baby, I love you! :) This also makes 44 together for us for the W46.

We're thinking of tagging Cascade and Porter this weekend, if the weather is ok for the big finish!

Laurie took a lot of nice pics, we'll post some sooner or later!

Back to Camp Peggy. The group of 12 slowly got smaller until only 7 walked in. Only 5 walked out Thursday, (2 walked out early). It was great to start hikes from the camp, it makes a lot of peaks much easier! It was also nice to hang out at the camp and chat with what turned out to be a largely Catskill crowd.

Speaking of which, Wednesday morning, we were visited by the Presidents of the 46R's and the Catskill 3500 Club! Wow, what an honor! :D

Others can feel free to add their report(s) here, or start their own threads, as I see some have done already.

And oh, BTW, Pamola, we liked the Vos Druif! I was afraid I would not like a Lambic, but it was quite tasty!

But we did not like the DB Clone! :eek: 'Sour' was the consensus for DB.