Black Fly Season

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I go out side and within 10 minutes my neck starts bleeding.:D

Typically I would say any time between mid to late April and Memorial Day weekend.

Black Flys in the Catskills?

Are they out in the Catskills yet? I'm thinking about heading up there for the weekend, and I'd like to get at least one hike in soon while I don't have to look at everything through mesh, or smell like some toxic chemical.

My old neighbor used to say the blackflies show up when the leaves on the lilac are the size of a mouse's ear. Our lilacs in central Maine are all budded and the leaves will probably open in a day or two if the weather stays warm.

Mr. X said:
When does the black fly season typically get going?

There are a couple websites out there (for entomology geeks I suppose, no offense to those of you that are :)) , that explain the whole life cycle of the miserable little bastards. I don't have the addresses but, like everything else, if you google it, you'll find them.

I think I read that they need 3-4 consecutive nights with a temperature above 45 degrees. They get active at that point. Makes sense I suppose, since they always start in the lower elevations and make thier way up.

As for calendar days, in the ADK's it generally seems to start getting real bad in the lowlands around mid-late May, and maybe late May/Early June in the high peaks. At least for the real bad bitin' ones anyway.

I have no idea for the Whites, but I imagine it's prety similar.

Last edited:
Wow Arm, that is amazing! They haven't hit here yet though. I live at 640' elevation in the "foothills" od the Catskills. Typicaly we get about 1 week of warm temperatures where I can leave the doors open with no fear of insects flying in, and air out my den. After that all bets are off and it's an all out war.
However, with today's 80 plus degree temps. I think this weekend is the only time I will be able to do that. I was up over 2,200' on Thomas Cole all day Saturday "working" and didn't see an insect all day. Clear skies, warm breeze, beautiful views. I tell you, it was better than s*x. Well, ok, it was doggone close. Alright, alright, I guess it's a matter of age or perspective, lets just say it was VERY NICE.
Tom

Bad News from the Catskills

The temperature today here in the western Catskills reached 84F, and I was harassed by a few of the little fellas in my pasture. I'm at about 1600' elevation...I'd guess they haven't made an appearance yet at the higher elevations. Sigh.

you are very lucky. my brother, non passed on, went into anaphalactic shock from black fly bites on the golf course one eyar, he couldn't breathe, his hands swelled up til the fingers were like susages, spread your finger as far apart as they will go, now imagine them still touching. horrible.

luckily we called saranac ER and they said put the benadryl to him and get in here, we did( 45 minute ride from hell) and overnight tey got him in shape again. he was SUPER sensitive after that to any bites. one would swell up like a golf ball.

I had a few around my head today on rt 30 north towards malone where we were fishing. the wind blew them away afternoon though, no bites, just a mini cloud. they are out, go scuff around, you'll see.

I Don't Want To Look Like The "Disfigured" Pete Hickey

Soooooooooo...maybe I should re-think my tentative plans to hit the Santanoni Range this Memorial Day weekend, eh?

It seems like you can't always predict where and when you will find black flies.

My family and I were introduced to black flies on a Fourth of July weekend as we canoed up the Oswegatchie near Wanakena toward High Falls. We were eaten alive. Bug spray did absolutely nothing. We had our children with us, and I was truly worried that someone would turn me in for child abuse when we finally made it back to civilization.

However, I hiked Whiteface and Esther around June 10th one year, and didn't see any bugs. It was a great day.

Now I'm not so reluctant to make plans during "black fly season." If I'm confronted by black flies when I get there, I'll just revise my plans.

Don't Let the Terrorists Win!

If you let the Black Fly keep you out of the woods the little terrorists win!

:rolleyes:

They are good sprinkled on oatmeal.

A few black flies were buzzing at base elevation in the NH Lakes Region today. How can these little buggers survive the January we had?

Re: Re: I Don't Want To Look Like The "Disfigured" Pete Hickey

Pete_Hickey said:

Look on the bright side. You could be lucky, and have rain. It'll keep them away.

And in the santanoni's it really doesn't matter if it's a record drough or flood, it's always mucky!

rico said:
Always makes me wonder how the Indians dealt with the bugs.

I'm going to guess... covering themselves in mud/paste?

After hiking Cliff last June, I ended up going to my family doctor as I thought I had gotton poison ivy. The itching was horrendous and spots/markings were all over both arms. It ended up being just a massive dose of black fly bites. Deet spray was of no help.