Traction for Trail running

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marty

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have entertained the idea of trying to do winter trail running in the state forest behind my house. It is presently a bit icy where folks have been on the trail or in heavily shaded spots. The trails also has lots of rocks, mud and some rough footing, but only gradual ups and downs.

Rather than experiment on my own and possibly maim myself, I figure I could ask y'all what works well for traction when trail running. So, any experience or opinions?

Thanks,
Marty

I use YakTrax, the version with the velcro strap. They work really well 90% of the time. Sometimes they get jostled around below the foot, and I'll need to stop for a couple seconds to readjust them. I've done a number of runs on snowmobile trails and packed hiking trails this winter with my YakTrax, and it's a great option to keep from the monotony of the roads.

I've never tried it, but I know a few folks build their own "screw shoes" by drilling screws into the soles. Reports from users are very positive.

DougPaul said:
You might consider spiked running shoes.

Doug
I have spiked running shoes. I tried them early in the season and they worked out well. Trail running in snow even with the spiked shoes seemed more difficult than trail running without snow, but I didn't slip with each step. Mine are made by New Balance. I also used to put machine screws into the bottom of my hiking boots. (Before the age of Stabilicers.) That worked but I never ran in them. I have tapered snowshoes for running when the snow is deeper.

I too have also used YakTrak's without too many problems. I have found at times, though rarely, when running downhill for a stretch they can sometimes slip off the toe region and jam underneath the sole, then its just a matter of slipping them back on. I do like using them as it just keeps the trail running season going.

I use Stabilicers when the surface is firm enough to not sink or feel like you're running in sand. They have been great. I also use my smallest pair of snowshoes when needed. I don't usually run as far in snowshoes though :)