Huntington Ravine (Mt. Washington) - 3/16

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

Jay Meyer

Adrian K. and I headed up into Huntington yesterday (Sunday, 3/16), planning to ascend Central Gully and possibly summit. We soon learned what happens to the best laid plans, but by staying flexible had a great day regardless.

For several days leading up to Sunday, the avy forecast for Huntington had been "Low". But when we arrived at Pinkham Notch on Sunday morning, the forecast was up to "Considerable" due to 4-5" of snow on Saturday, and forecast high winds. But the forecast indicated that the hazard wouldn't actually rise until the afternoon, when freshening wind would start moving the new snow around. So we proceeded with our plans, figuring that we would be out of dangerous terrain by the afternoon and that by using safe travel skills we could spot and circumvent any problem areas that we encountered.

We got into Huntington Ravine, geared up and started to ascend the fan toward the base of Central Gully. There were two other climbers near us, and a team ahead of us in Pinnacle Gully. As we approached the base of Pinnacle, one of the nearby climbers yelled "Avalanche." I looked up and, sure enough, a cloud of boiling snow was moving out of the entrance of toward us. Adrian was below me to climber's left, out of the apparent path; the two climbers hunkered over their axes, while I moved to my right below some rocks, figuring that they would stop the slide. But as I watched, a layer of sliding snow (perhaps 6"-1' deep) swept through the rocks, around the ankles of one of the other climbers, and toward me. I ran to my left for all I was worth, as the cloud settled and the slide slowed to a halt.

Adrian and I swiftly agreed that there was no need to test fate, and descended the fan to the base of the ravine. Looking up, we saw approximately 1 dozen other climbers also beginning to descend from various locations. At the base, comparing notes, we learned that a team of approximately 5-6 climbers in Pinnacle had triggered the slide, which swept over several of them as they were roped in and belayed. No injuries, although one of those climbers lost their axe. It is fair to say that we all had our eyes opened by this event!

Adrian and I had a full kit of avy gear, including beacons, probes and shovels, so we spent the rest of our time doing beacon drills in the base of the ravine.

Don't fool with Mother Nature!