Dunderberg and Bear Mountains (Hudson Highlands)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

the_swede

Date of Hike: 3/17/08

Trail Conditions: Started out at the trailhead on 9W just North of the Anchor Monument. I summited Dunderberg Mountain via the Ramapo Dunderberg Trail. I brought my stabilicers along just in case but there was virtually no snow on the ground. I descended Dunderberg via the Cornell Mine Trail, made my way through Doodletown and up to Seven Lakes Drive. The Cornell Mine Trail was steep and luckily there was no ice but lots of wet leaves made it a little slippery. All in all, the descent was quick and fun. From there, I headed West along Seven Lakes Drive and met up with the Suffern-Bear Mountain Trail which led to the Appalachian Trail and ultimately to the summit of Bear Mountain. There were a few fuzzy spots along the AT due to an ongoing trail redirect project, so I ended up losing the trail several times. I grew tired of this and just bushwhacked to the summit. After a relaxing sandwich, some water and a warm cup o' joe, I headed back down the AT to the Bear Mountain Inn and road walked 9W back to my car. Total time was 5.5 hours and the distance was somewhere in the 10+ miles range. Temperature was somewhere in the high 40s Fahrenheit.

Special Equipment Required: Good boots and maybe some trekking poles.

Comments: It was a beautiful day for hiking. The sky was clear, the sun was out and the temperature was not too bad. I could see Manhattan from the summit of Bear Mountain.