Class of 2007 46ers

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike1889

Reaction score
The Class of 2007 46ers has been posted on the 46er web page:

http://www.adk46r.org/

If you are member of this class, congratulations! If there any errors, please reply here or PM me. The 46ers are working on a new book, and the entire 46er roster will be in it. The roster will take about 120 pages of the book. I want the book roster to be as accurate as possible. Thanks!

Ages

Mike,

I know it is the policy not to reveal ages of the new (or previous) inductees but I wonder if there is any statistics available on the age groups. Specifically I am interested in the number of kids who have completed the quest. My son is a new 46r at age twelve and I wonder how many other kids his age have finished and become members. Is it true that the youngest was about 5 or six years old as I have heard? Is there a reason the stats aren't available (without reference to individual members)?

Two different sets of four-year-old twins have been the most-youthful finishers.

Fred and Phelps Turner (of the With Pipe & Book Turners) were the youngest, but their mark was broken about a decade ago, if memory serves. I don’t recall the names of the slightly younger children, but I remember seeing their picture in an ‘‘Adirondack Peeks’’ being congratulated by Grace.

skidoc22 said:
...... Specifically I am interested in the number of kids who have completed the quest. ....... Is it true that the youngest was about 5 or six years old as I have heard? Is there a reason the stats aren't available (without reference to individual members)?
The 46ers do not want to encourage records in general. Especially in the case of the youngest, when there may be parents who push extremely young kids so that they may be the youngest on record..... Yes, there are people who do that. The age of the youngest winter 46er will make you scratch your head.

It's sad that a younger kid, who is proud of his achievement, doesn't get much special recognition.

skidoc22 said:
Mike,

I know it is the policy not to reveal ages of the new (or previous) inductees but I wonder if there is any statistics available on the age groups. Specifically I am interested in the number of kids who have completed the quest. My son is a new 46r at age twelve and I wonder how many other kids his age have finished and become members. Is it true that the youngest was about 5 or six years old as I have heard? Is there a reason the stats aren't available (without reference to individual members)?

They don't do "official stats", but I do know, at least in the limited sample of "induction" meetings I've been to, they do go out of the way and at least acknowledge (by name) the youngest and oldest finishers of a particular class if they are there. Pretty sure they are mentioned in Peeks too. I can't recall.

My daughter was 11 and the youngest in 2004, and they definitely acknowledged her at the induction ceremony, along with the oldest dude (who, at like aged 79-80 or something, I was even more impressed with) that year. It was the highlight of her night.

I also recall Beth Sikes was acknowledged her year (2005or6?). She was like 10 or 11 too at the time too. IIRC, it seems that the 10-11 range has seemed to be pretty routine for the youngest, with a few notable exceptions. High 70's seems to do it on the upper end, too (again, with exceptions). 12 might be a touch on the high side, but certainly in the ballpark. In any event, kudos to him.........

Pete_Hickey said:
The 46ers do not want to encourage records in general. Especially in the case of the youngest, when there may be parents who push extremely young kids so that they may be the youngest on record..... Yes, there are people who do that. The age of the youngest winter 46er will make you scratch your head.

It's sad that a younger kid, who is proud of his achievement, doesn't get much special recognition.

I'm not really interested so much in records as in the age ranges in general. Are there 200, 300, 500 kids under say 15 who are members? I'm guessing there is a roughly bell shaped curve with the peak being somewhere in the 40 - 50 range IIRC from the group I finished with. I bet somebody somewhere has got to have the info. It's all so mysterious...

BTW you might walk faster if you weren't upside down... :D

skidoc22 said:
I'm not really interested so much in records as in the age ranges in general. Are there 200, 300, 500 kids under say 15 who are members?
You mean who WERE when they finished. There are usually a few each year. Actually, I would guess that there are more in the range of 10-15 than there are in the range 20-25.
I'm guessing there is a roughly bell shaped curve with the peak being somewhere in the 40 - 50 range IIRC from the group I finished with.
Judging from my experience, I doubt very much it is a normal curve. A wind-swept bell curve. As I implied, there are many more in the range 40-70 than are in the range 1-40. Your peak is probably good.
I bet somebody somewhere has got to have the info. It's all so mysterious...
Raw data is available... Probably on paper. Mike is the stats man and does a number of yearly statistics. It'll be in Peeks.

I checked with the 46er Historian. He has an Access database of all 6212 46ers. It includes name, address, 1st peak name and date, and 46th peak name and date. It does not include ages, so there is no statistics available from that database on ages or age groups. The 46er questionnaire does have a spot for age, but it is not entered into the database.

I do an annual summary of the previous year's finishers called Peeks Sketches that is included in the fall issue of Peeks. I do include age groups and youngest in that summary, but it is done year-by-year, and I have only been doing it for about 10 years.

I checked the last 7 years, and 219 kids in the 10-19 age group finished in that period, for an average of about 31 per year.

Thanks for looking into it for me. It seems interesting to me that there is more information about the peaks than the people who climb them. I'll be on the lookout for the article in Peeks.