My winter finale = Priceless

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TMax

Reaction score
Avatar is on Gannett Peak, Wyoming's high point.
Travel expenses = $220
Cost in vacation days = 3
Permanent damage from whippet in the eye :eek: = none :D
Getting to the top of 8 more Adirondack high peaks in winter = PRICELESS!

Friday March 14...
Guinness and I hefted on full packs at Upper Works and started in under bright clear skies. I spent the entire 4.5 miles up to the flowed lands adjusting my pack in the hopes of tricking my body into believing it wasn't that heavy! (For anyone who's interested... I didn't find the secret!) We took a brief rest at the leanto and then parted ways. Guinness headed off over the lake to head up to Feldspar and I went on the trail (frozen lakes don't thrill me) to head over to Marshall. Once on the herd path, temps warmed considerably and I had to knock built-up snow off my shoes. It got old stopping and banging them with my poles or against trees so I developed a motion of kicking backwards while rocking the shoe to knock the snow off, which I jokingly called the horse-kick maneuver. (The next morning a brand new pain told me that I have horse-kicking muscles, located somewhere beneath the small of my back and above my gluteus maximus;)) The new snow was only a few inches so the trail was still visible. Walking up along the brook was spectacular with all the amazing artwork that nature in winter creates. My previous hike of Marshall was on a very crappy day, so who knew there were such great views! I took many photos, especially of Iroquois and Algonquin. Somewhere below the knob before the summit, the herd path petered out. I wound up heading a little too low on the right side of the knob but visibility was perfect so finding the way was easy. A few moments on the summit and I started back down. Back on the main trail and I began a very long walk up to Feldspar. That pack got heavier and heavier every step! I met two guys who had failed to find the summit of Redfield and warned me not to follow their tracks! Guinness met me about a mile out from the leanto, having gotten bored hanging around. As we walked past Uphill leanto I seriously wondered why the heck we decided on Feldspar. Feldspar leanto is surrounded by snow but Guinness had chopped in steps to get down to it. A good dinner and good conversation was had and then one of the best night's sleep I've ever had in the woods. As Guinness said "it had nothing to do with being tired!"

Saturday morning we awoke to an inch or so of new snow and a very low cloud cover. We took our time (well, I took my time:)) getting ready and then headed up to Redfield. Another beautiful hike but it precipitated all day. Very deep holes were spotted all along the brook, not a place to slide into! We took a couple of false turns (despite the warnings I received yesterday!) and wound up going up and over the knob (instead of around it) which was interesting. We were on top of the trees but with very few spruce traps. The summit sign is only about a foot above ground. We made quick work of the trip back down and then headed over to Cliff. The herd path was visible in spurts, but up on top of the first cliffs, we lost the way. There was a snow chute that Guinness started up, but visibility was poor and ultimately we decided to turn back (never an easy decision!). Back at the leanto we were joined by Ashfordite and his nephew. Good people!

Sunday we awoke to more low cloud cover and a dusting of new snow. Guinness decided to head out and I headed for Gray and Skylight. Ashfordite and his nephew had about an hour head start on me, so I knew I'd have a trail to follow;). The current track up to Gray pops up between the two peaks, which was interesting. The summit sign is completely buried. The hike up Skylight was a blast. The visibility was extremely poor as Ashfordite and Keith had warned me when I saw them on their way down. I left my pole at the top of the brush and several steps later I turned to look at it and couldn't see it! So I took a waypoint and then headed in a straight line for the summit. The previous hiker's footsteps were already gone. I stopped long enough for one picture and then boogied back before my steps disappeared. Back at the leanto I packed up my belongings and headed out. Talk about death marches!! It seemed to take forever to haul that load back out to Upper Works. It felt so good to see the parking area! I headed around the park and got a room for the night so I could shower and sleep in a bed!

Monday I headed out for Esther and Whiteface. It was an absolutely perfect day. I hiked in my base layer for most of it. The trails were mostly broken out other than a few inches of new powder that was sweet to be hiking on. Lots of evidence up there from the recent ice storm with branches hanging over the trail. Much of the hike over to Esther was done hunched over and bending under stuff. It was kind of like climbing up a huge flight of stairs while doing hundreds of squats, deadman lifts, and lunges, all with about 20 pounds on my back. (Where else would you rather be?) Beautiful views all the way. The climb up to Whiteface was spectacular. The section just below the retaining wall for the road was typically blown in with deep snow. I struggled to kick in steps in very deep and very soft stuff on a very steep slope. I was panting like crazy when I got done! So I decided to take the road up the rest of the way. The lower end of the stairs were a mess with huge chunks of broken ice on them. But then it improved. The summit sign is encased in ice. The views were AWESOME. I hung out for quite awhile just taking it all in. Took the trail back down and the winds were a little brutal along that ridge. A nice hike out and then the most rewarding butt slide ever! I bet I went a good half-mile down the trail that leads to the ASRC:D.

Then today, with the predicted lousy weather moving in, I decided to take it easy so I could get on the road home at a reasonable hour. So Porter and Cascade was the hike of the day. While I already have those two for winter, I need them for March:cool:. Another great day. I spent about half an hour on the summit of Cascade. The wind was mild and the temps were in the high 30's.

30 high peaks this winter... PRICELESS...

Last edited:
It was a great time. Spending a couple of nights in the backcountry with milder temps is a wonderful experience and a needed break from day hikes. Walking past the Uphill Lean-to always brings about the question "why don't we stop?" but Feldspar is less visited and more secluded. After you arrive and drop your pack, the extra 0.5 miles is all worth it.

Now we are heading into the crappy snow season. With the deep snow up there now, I can only imagine the spruce traps waiting to swallow you when the crust starts softening. That will make Allen very interesting in April.

The trip out from Feldspar was a death march to me. I did the trip in just under 4 hours. I took the lake across which was a welcome route. There were several tracks on the lake Sunday morning. Probably the one aspect of all my trips is that after a long hike out, I then sit in a car for 6+ hours to get home. That makes you very stiff. We won't even bring up the travel expenses.

You have had a good winter season. I am glad I had a chance to be on some of those trips.

Ed

Hey Terri, was wondering where you were, have been conversing with Ed on the weekend activities, etc.

When I was on Skylight Grey on 2/23, the tracks I followed put us about 150ft past the grey/marcy col and I just had to traverse it to get to the summit sign which was 5" above the snow line. No wonder it is covered now. Cliff's sign was about 1/2 a hiking pole above the snowline on 3/8.

Sounds like a nice hike... Maybe the reason that you guys stayed at Feldspar than Uphill, I'd hate to be under that leanto with the amt of snow on the roof if the roof ever collapses! Somebody would dig you guys out in June. :eek:

Jay

TMax said:
A nice hike out and then the most rewarding butt slide ever! I bet I went a good half-mile down the trail that leads to the ASRC:D ...
No doubt that Marble Mtn would be that way!

Great report of some nice hikes. Too bad about Cliff.

That really had to be a long hike coming out after doing some peaks. I did that in the summer and found it forever... did you consider skiing in? Seems that would take some of the pain out of the distance.

Excellent trip report! We enjoyed meeting you and Guinness at Feldspar.

30 winter summits this year is very impressive. Great job!

Len