Mean Girls tag the Brothers- March 15th-17th, 2008

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

timmus

Reaction score
Saturday morning at the Terrace Motel, downtown Millinocket, six Mean Girls meet for a three-days trip up in Baxter State Park. Two are already there, MG Donna and MG Sue. After a four-hour drive from Stratton (ME), MG Julie gets there, followed by the two sisters, MG Mary Ellen, leader of the Mean Girls team and MG Rachel. Also with them is MG Dani, always smiling but oh-so always very mean.

They all sit for breakfast and plan their day : two cars are enough to fit everyone, so MG Julie ask the owner of the motel if she can leave her car there. “No, there will be 40 people coming tonight, sorry”.

So here they are, Mean Girls team driving up the very icy Millinocket Rd. MG Julie was first ahead, with MG Dani as co-pilot. She is trying to keep the wheels of her car in the too-wide tracks made by pick-up trucks. Suddenly off the tracks she goes, the car slides on the left side, then on the right side, goes 180 and BANG !! Hit the snowbank. MG Mary Ellen and MG Rachel, petrified by that horrible vision, comes right away to see if the two victims are OK. But MG Julie and MG Dani are fine, laughing nervously about what just happened.

MG Sue, always very analytic, goes aroung the car, pick-up pieces of the bumper, and notice an anomaly on one of the tires. “This one is low in air” she says. Let’s reach Abol Bridge and leave it there. Everybody agreed, and they were on the go again. MG Julie is still ahead, with MG Dani, very courageous for not switching for another driver. It only took one minute before the cellular phone rang, it was MG Mary Ellen calling to say that the car is sliding dangerously… Too late, MG Julie had lost control again, and then the car was standing ON TOP of the snowbank. Nobody was hurt, and MG Julie was not crying, because she really wanted to be a mean girl, and everybody knows Mean Girls don’t melt down for small things like crashing in a snowbank.

The team decided to call AAA, which MG Donna is a member. While waiting, the music was blasting on the stereo, the party was on, MG Donna was so hot with her FMB’s, MG Mary Ellen was enjoying a good spanking, MG Rachel was singing “I will survive” on top of the snowbank, while MG Dani was filming the whole thing (for black-mailing possible use). MG Julie was bummed, she tried to dance but only the spanking really made her smile. Really, the whole thing looked like open auditions for La Casa.

Finally, Triple A took so long MG’s took charge of the situation. The shovelled the snow, push the car down on the road, changed the tire, and drove the thing back to a garage downtown. (They did get help from several guys, especially from the Camo Jeep driver- thanks). They stopped at McDonald’s to refuel, and headed to Baxter for the second time.

The parking lot at William Ponds had just enough room for two more cars, because two pick-up trucks were there already. The MG crew took only few minutes to have the sleds going, finally, they were in BAXTER !! 6 miles in was more than needed to make MG Julie forget about her car. It was a very pleasant hike, under a cloudy sky.

Soyouwannahump campground has usually only one bunkhouse available in winter, and the MG’s were very surprised to see smoke coming out of the other shelter, the crew cabin… A group of five men was there, the Ranger gave them permission to stay there after failing to reach Russel Pond. They said the conditions were very bad for skiing. The team of men only was also very surprised, seeing a group of girls in Baxter, when they don’t even know ONE woman that likes that kind of trip. They obviously don’t hang with the good ones…

Mean Girls got the place ready, filling the water bag, starting the fire, setting up tents and then drinking right from the Heinken’s kegs (tradition oblige). There was tons of food, Mean Girls eat A LOT. Nobody speaks about diets and boiled vegetables. It’s all about whipped cream, red meat and Girl’s scout cookies. Later MG Sue warmed up the Calzones, there was also Kalamata olives, cheese, cashews and french baguette, with butter, évidemment.

At 9:00pm all MG’s were sleeping, while tiny wood stove of Camp Cozy was trying to keep the shelter warm. It didn’t last very long, the girls woke-up early in the morning, in a cold, very cold cabin. They were very ready to go though, so at 6am they were on the go. MG Donna, who absolutely needed Coe, was teaming with the mean sisters and MG Sue. MG Dani and MG Julie were going for North Brother and Fort, and if possible South Brother and Coe. That was very ambitious, but those two did way worse than that before, and everybody knows, Mean Girls ARE, very ambitious.

After walking the 3,6 miles on the road, the girls attacked the Marston trail. Boy, they were in fire !! Before they knew it they had reached the pond. This is when MG Rachel, always very cleaver, notice all MG’s Gore-tex shells were rainbow colors. What a great picture that would do !

It got pretty tough on the way up ; the trees were severely trapped in ice, and with all the snow the group was hiking 5 or 6 feet above the ground, pushing trough the tree branches, bending and looking down, hurting backs and necks.

The blazes were buried under the snow, making the trail hard to find. All MG’s missed the junction for North Brother, and it took some time before each team got on the appropriate path. MG Dani and MG Julie went straight for the summit of North Brother, doing some bushwhacking along the way. MG Dani was already suffering from blisters, but that was not enough to stop her. When they got above tree line, they found a very foggy summit, and very short visibility. They couldn’t see the cairns, they couldn’t see their own tracks, they couldn’t see crap. The wind was blowing, and all this was making the girls a little worried. Suddenly the radio rang : the other team was bailing out !! They could not find the trail to South Brother… Oh-Oh, would all Mean Girls be failing today ??? Was that possible ???? Right at that moment, a silhouette appeared in the fog… It was a rabbit and a hiker, followed by two other hikers, all members of the French Canadian Team, well known by MG Julie !!

They all climbed the last hundred of feet remaining, and another fiesta went on the summit of North Brother. Cheering, smiling, it was all very normal, because two of the men, Réjean and Pierre, were finishing the W115 that day. What an accomplishment!

The Mean Girls then teamed up with the French Canadians, and all together they went for Fort. Of course, there was a disparity between the two teams, but that’s all right, MG’s can deal with any kind of partners, weaker or stronger. But still, they were not too sure, those men were travelling so light you could see through their packs !! They were pointing toward a guessed peak, saying “moi j’ai par là’’, reading the maps and compass every two minutes. It was normal to feel insecure a little, after all, Mean Girls are very smart, and they take absolutely no stupid risks.

Piece of cake, it was a piece of cake. 40 minutes, no pushing through thick stuff, just a little bit of sinking (MG Julie got almost swallowed by a giant spruce trap). Right after summiting Fort the men left the place pretty fast, leaving the two MG’s on their own. How would the Girls find their way back over North Brother, if the wind had blown all the tracks away ? Could they ever find the broken trail down the southwest slope of the mountain ???

Well those men would never be part of any Mean Men team, because they were there, standing on the summit of North Brother, waiting for the girls. That wasn’t really necessary, but MG Julie says “ thanks” anyway ;) After that the two MG’s skipped South Brother and Coe and rushed down the trail, drewling thinking about beer, chips and Guacamole.

A little later all Mean Girls were reunited in Camp Cozy, and MG Donna, MG Mary Ellen, MG Sue and MG Rachel told the two others that they finally made it to South Brother, so they all agreed the Mean Girls had tag the Brothers successfully.

Another fun evening was on the way, with stuffed shells, wine and strawberry shortcakes. Let’s not forget MG Sue’s dirty jokes, conversations on make-up, hair styles and on all the different types of shaving. The team went to bed early, and everybody slept like dolls.

The temparature dropped during the night, but the sky cleared up at dawn. MG Team had a very regular breakfast, oatmeal and bagels, while they could smell bacon and pancake fumes from the other shelter. So they broke camp very fast, thinking “we have to stop at the AT café as soon as we get out of here !”

The hike out was incredibly awesome, all MG’s got inside their own bubble, burning the fresh memories in their minds.

What a “wicked” trip that was, girls ! And thanks for bringing me along, I really had a good time.

–MG Barbie

Pictures from MG Julie's camera

Last edited:
Awwwsumm!!!

Amazing trip, great report and pictures but...are those some "guys" in one of the pix :eek:

Some guys will go anywhere to meet MEAN GIRLS ;) :D :p

Thanks sooo much for sharing your incredible experience and Congratulations!!!

Beware of the wabbit ;)

Sweet! Nice trip!

I'm jealous you had a snowbank for your car to go into...

Awesome adventure with the mean girls !

Lots of laughs. great food, hiking and friendship.

Thanks for many things, but thanks specially to ....

MEB ...for being the meanest trip leader ever !

LittleSister ...for dragging in the group food on her sled, and the trash out !

SueBiscuit ...for the super-yummy calzone (especially the veggie one you made special just for me! awesome! so thoughtful!) !

Donna ...for being so hot !

and Julie ... for the beer swap, bushwhack, crazy car-ride, and super-mean friendship

honorary mean girl Gail... I missed you badly and wished that you had been with us

You all rock !!!

Hope to have my contribution to the pictures up soon! Will post as soon as it's ready. :)

Houseboy Wanted

Dear Mean Girls...

All MGs should have a houseboy to manage the dirty work of fire making, food prep, cabin sweeping, sled waxing, crampon sharpening, plastic boot buffing and, after a particular long day on the trail, the occasional pedicure or bubble bath.

I offer my services gratis for your next Baxter trip.

Mongo

MG's rock!

You should take applications for servants for next year :D

Start a website! A Fan Club!

Congratulation....

Hi MG Girls, :D

Thank You for your nice job (broken trail) nice report and pictures.

It was super to meet You just before North Brother and made a team to Fort!

It was super super to see your smiles :) go out of the whitheout on North Brother.

We hope to meet You again in the mountain.

P.S. Pour rendre à César ce qui appartient à César et rendre à Dieu ce qui appartient à Dieu: Junior was confortable with his mother Queen and his father Pinpin in Lake Placid. The new young rabbit is: Pinpin the 3th. :rolleyes:

Pinpin the 3th.

The MG's Baxter trip was really fun...can't wait to head out again. Of course there were lots of other conversations us MG's had...all you guys out there can only imagine. ;)

Thanks to everyone for making this trip so much fun and exciting. A special thanks to MEB and Dani for organizing and being very awesome MG leaders.

Thanks to Sue and MEB for all the navigating to South Brother summit.

Little Sister I had so much fun hanging with you. When's our next hike?

Julie it was great to finally meet you. You are awesome...and great TR and pictures.

Happy Hiking!

Nice trip report & pics Julie.

I thought about you MG's all weekend but I knew you were in good hands
with MG MEB & MG Dani.

Very funny TP (remember what goes on in Baxter stays in Baxter).

Glad you all got to summit the Brothers.

I need to go with you next year!!!!!!!

Thank you Percival!!!!!!!

Donna returns to get Coe! Nice trip, I knew that Cozy Camp looked familiar. Hope the Toyota heals well. :)

I managed to avoid most spruce traps on my trip to N. Brother, but breaking trail up that steep section in soft powder was a lot of work. Great peak though with great views.

I need to go back to do Fort too now... :)

Jay

What an awesome trip and a very fun TR!!!

ChrisB said:
I offer my services gratis for your next Baxter trip.
Forget houseboy, I want to apply for the "fly on the wall" position! :D

MG and Baxter... what a deadly combo.

Hey Mean Girls!

Thanks for a wicked awesome weekend!

Great hiking and route finding along the way up to South Brother. I was just there back in January and so much can change is such a short period of time. The Coe Trail junction sign was completely burried in the snow and I just blew right on by it. After going for while I finally realized my mistake and we back tracked to the junction. After the group split we followed our tracks but we soon lost the trail again. We did some bushwhacking, got caught in some spruce traps but eventully found our way back to the trail.
Fun time!

-MEB

Status
Not open for further replies.