Millinocket Lodgings

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daniel Eagan

Reaction score
I apologize if this has been asked too many times already, but we are booked for Baxter and will probably have to spend a night in Millinocket so everyone can assemble.

We want something quiet and convenient. The Adobe Motel looked okay until we saw that it's "within walking distance of our Club LaCasa, the only adult night club north of Portland, Maine!"

Is there any real difference among the Pamola Motor Lodge, Katahdin Valley Motel, Katahdin Inn, and Heritage Inn? Any preferences?

The Heritage (Best Western) is okay but the other one almost across the street near the pizza place (I can't remember the name) has a hot tub if soaking after the hike is a thought

As far as the quality of the entertainment at La Casa in the hot bed of fashion/style Southern Californ I mean Millinocket, I'm thinking If I have more teeth then they do, I'm not spending my cash.

"the one accross the street" is The Polmara Inn. We stayed there last year whene we rafted the Penobscot. It is you typical motel and there is a room with a couple of hot tubs in it. Not bad but not exceedingly good. Boots

Susan and I stayed at the Katahdin Inn last fall. It had a free continental breakfast which started about five a.m.; right next to the swimming pool, if you like the smell of chlorine. It's on the main road, but set far enough back that it was quiet as a mausoleum in there.

In the past we've stayed at the Hotel Terrace. I believe it had an all-you-can-eat breakfast for a couple bucks. Don't recall what time it began, though. Great dinners, too, but the hotel part I thought always seemed to have the stench of stale cigarette smoke, especially in the hallway. It's on a side road; follow the sign toward the airport. It's probably a quarter mile south of the main drag, a short distance past the Katahdin Inn, which is also on the left as you drive into town, behind a RiteAid or something.

I'd stay again at either place, and probably will.

The Appalachian Trail Cafe downtown is a good place to eat, too.

Last edited:
The Gateway is nice; I stayed there this past winter. They're right off I-95 in Medway, but it's only moments to get into Millinocket; no more than 10 minutes to get to the Golden Road.

They have an exercise room and an indoor pool ... perfect for pre-hike relaxation. There's a little restaurant just down the road and over the bridge on the left that makes great burgers.

One thing to think about - will you be taking a lot of gear into the room overnight to sort/pack? If so, you may prefer something more motel-like, with individual room entrances, than a place where you have long hallways to walk down. That said, the Gateway has several entrances and was still convenient, even taking my sled in to load it.

Last edited:
The Katahdin Inn, and the Heritage (Best Western) across the street, are both fine, with the KI being a little better. The Pamola is also OK. None of them are what you'd call luxury lodging.

Friends have stayed at the Adobe and don't recommend it, not so much for the proximity of the Casa as for other reasons, like nonrefundable payment at reservation time.

Don't know about any of the others, since I usually stay at a friend's camp between Millinocket and the Mountain. ;)

Best Western and Katahdin Inn are comparable in my opinion but preferable to the Gateway because they are closer to town for meals and that much closer to Baxter Park. River Driver Restaurart my favorite ... which isn't exactly in town but also an outfitter.

I've stayed at the Terrace Motel several times. It's basic and affordable. No complaints. I believe they have a breakfast buffet available in the morning.

I've stayed at the Hotel Terrace and Katahdin Inn. I usually pick the Inn for the hot tub, pool and breakfast.

If you don't care about running water, Great Northern Paper (now Katahdin something - can't remember the new name and can't find a link to the old one) has nice camps with 6 bunks and room for plenty more. Inside has one room with bunks, another room with sink, picnic table and chairs. A nice porch. Outhouse.

Compass Pond and Sunday Pond both have great views of Katahdin. It's about $95/night and you can have as many people as you want, inside and out.