Cardigan, Firescrew via Back 80, Elwell 3/22/08

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jazzbo

Reaction score
Waltham, MA Jazzbo & Marty meet Bigfoot on Kenne
I tagged along with Tim and Mary at Cardigan lodge who were going up Back 80 to cut blow downs. Snow is still more than 2’ deep. We donned snowshoes to make it easier to drag branches off trail. We removed 3-4 blowdowns in trail, but out beyond cellar hole, trail really needed lopping to define the tread way, so I lopped and they dragged. We opened up the trail all way up to the brook crossing at Beaver Ponds.

We separated and I continued on alone to junction with the Elwell Trail and continued on up steep slopes up to cliffs above Cilley’s Cave. The trail climbs by side hills and switch backs through hardwood forest up to top of cliffs where spruce begins to dominate. Beech, birch and other brushy trees are growing across the trail and needs to be pushed aside to get through. It will be harder top follow the trail once the leaves come out. Fortunately blazes are bright yellow and in good condition and easy to spot. Neither Elwell or Mowglis Trail gets much business. No indication of previous travel packing by snowshoe whatsoever. The Mowglis Trail has white blazes that are hard to see in snow and icy conditions. Nor is treadway very well defined. I had a hard time following it. It would have taken me a long time to find my way up the ridge. It’s probably easier to follow with out the snow. Due to lateness of the hour I turned back and returned the way I came.

Views of Firescrew from ledges above Cilley’s cave were very nice. The Mowglis Trail up the spur ridge still looks interesting. I’ll return another time when I have more time to try it.