Thread: REI Outdoor School

REI Outdoor School

Has anybody ever attended any of the classes that REI Outdoor School offers? How was the instruction? What clases did you take? Would you take another?

I've signed up up for a couple of their classes that take place in May. I'm just curious if those of you who've taken their courses found them worthwhile.

Thanks.
    "The laborers day ends with the going down of the sun, and he is then free to
    devote himself to his chosen pursuit, independent of his labor and his
    employer". Henry David Thoreau

Not from REI, but from EMS and AMC;
    - Make sure you understand the course content. In other words, if you're taking a climbing course but are mainly interested in learning how to set-up anchors and belay, that may be another course or you may need to "steer" the instructor more in that direction.
    - Try to use your course skills immediately and often while it's fresh so the info stays with you.
    - One weird one; Some courses are less $ if more attend. On an EMS ice climbing course there were two of us "clients" and the young instructor brought his girlfriend to also climb, no huge deal as we all had plenty of climbing time, but it probably reduced the total amount of instruction we received. Afterwards I felt she shouldn't have been there at all or we should have, at least, been charged the 3 client rate.
    Dead Last > Did Not Finish > Did Not Start

* ALL STANDARD DISCLAIMERS APPLY: IIRC. YRMV. IMHO. FWIW. HYOH. NO WARRANTIES, EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED, ARE MADE
    THAT INFORMATION CONTAINED IN THIS POST IS ACCURATE, RELIABLE OR APPROPRIATE FOR ANY PARTICULAR SITUATION.

I took a Map and Compass class from their outdoor school. I found it to be pretty good overall. They had first class instructors and I learned a lot.

The only bad part was that we had to wait an hour plus in the winter cold for two guys who got lost driving to the place. We spent most of that time waiting around. After nearly 45 minutes, the instructors started going over some baby stuff which the class already knew. We then had to repeat this when the other guys arrived. It was an hour and a half before we got a chance to get hiking and get some field use.

Maty
    So when you reach the bottom line
    The only thing to do is climb
    Pick yourself up off the floor
    Anything ya want is yours

Song: Bottom Line
    Artist: Big Audio Dynamite
    Album: This is Big Audio Dynamite
    Year: 1985

Quote Originally Posted by marty
    The only bad part was that we had to wait an hour plus in the winter cold for two guys who got lost driving to the place.

Maty
    Good thing you all waited for them. Sounds like those two really needed that "map and compass" class!

Quote Originally Posted by Maddy
    Good thing you all waited for them. Sounds like those two really needed that "map and compass" class!
    That's pretty funny, Maddy. Thanks for the laugh!

Marty
    So when you reach the bottom line
    The only thing to do is climb
    Pick yourself up off the floor
    Anything ya want is yours

Song: Bottom Line
    Artist: Big Audio Dynamite
    Album: This is Big Audio Dynamite
    Year: 1985

I took the REI classroom instruction for Map & Compass, and although I felt that it was helpful, it was not nearly enough. If you do the classroom, I strongly urge you to do the outdoor instruction within a week or two to make sure you get it down.