REI Outdoor School

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhiteMTHike

Reaction score
Has anybody ever attended any of the classes that REI Outdoor School offers? How was the instruction? What clases did you take? Would you take another?

I've signed up up for a couple of their classes that take place in May. I'm just curious if those of you who've taken their courses found them worthwhile.

Thanks.

Not from REI, but from EMS and AMC;
- Make sure you understand the course content. In other words, if you're taking a climbing course but are mainly interested in learning how to set-up anchors and belay, that may be another course or you may need to "steer" the instructor more in that direction.
- Try to use your course skills immediately and often while it's fresh so the info stays with you.
- One weird one; Some courses are less $ if more attend. On an EMS ice climbing course there were two of us "clients" and the young instructor brought his girlfriend to also climb, no huge deal as we all had plenty of climbing time, but it probably reduced the total amount of instruction we received. Afterwards I felt she shouldn't have been there at all or we should have, at least, been charged the 3 client rate.

I took a Map and Compass class from their outdoor school. I found it to be pretty good overall. They had first class instructors and I learned a lot.

The only bad part was that we had to wait an hour plus in the winter cold for two guys who got lost driving to the place. We spent most of that time waiting around. After nearly 45 minutes, the instructors started going over some baby stuff which the class already knew. We then had to repeat this when the other guys arrived. It was an hour and a half before we got a chance to get hiking and get some field use.

Maty

marty said:
The only bad part was that we had to wait an hour plus in the winter cold for two guys who got lost driving to the place.

Maty
Good thing you all waited for them. Sounds like those two really needed that "map and compass" class! :eek:

I took the REI classroom instruction for Map & Compass, and although I felt that it was helpful, it was not nearly enough. If you do the classroom, I strongly urge you to do the outdoor instruction within a week or two to make sure you get it down.