Tucks trail conditions to floor of ravine

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fmgate

Reaction score
What are the present conditions on Tuckerman Ravine Tr. up to the floor of the ravine? My pregnant wife and I were thinking of going up to watch the skiing action tomorrow. Don't want to take her if the footing is too slippery or challenging right now.

I was up there today with a few friends and posted a trail conditions report. As far as the bowl itself goes, it's primo for skiing, and so are most of the gullys. Central Gully has some major ice which can fall at any time (so does the Sluice), but everything else looks good. Hillman's is in great shape.

The avy debris field is still prominent (and quite humbling). Shows how powerful nature is. Kind of like mogals now...

Have a blast! :)

thanks for the info.

a yankee fan in mass...brave.

Sunday

The trail up to the ravine was a mixture of mud, snow, ice, slush and running water. Large parts are definitely slippery. I'd recommend some sort of traction aide if you're concerned about falling. Instep crampons?

On the other hand, if you enjoy boot skating, you can really make it down in good time. Kind of strenuous though.

a friend and i are planning to skin the trail. still recommended/possible? or would hiking be wiser? thanks.

I shouldn't think skinning would be called for. There are occasional patches of mud and rock. Most people were barebooting yesterday without much trouble. A few had crampons on.

kurcam said:
a friend and i are planning to skin the trail. still recommended/possible? or would hiking be wiser? thanks.

You can skin from about 1/3 the way up the tucks trail

thanks-that may change what i pull out of the quiver. i'd been there in early march and the trail was in fine order, but with the warm conditions, i anticipated a potential full hike.

kurcam said:
thanks-that may change what i pull out of the quiver. i'd been there in early march and the trail was in fine order, but with the warm conditions, i anticipated a potential full hike.

two weekends ago i was able to skin the whole way up, last weekend had to walk the first 1/3